Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Looking for a reduced handlebar reach

390 Views 10 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Caprock
Hi folks, I'm looking for a reduced reach solution for my 2018 Chieftain Classic. My arms are fully extended while riding and it takes a toll on my shoulders/back on long rides. I contacted a dealer and they recommended a reduced reach solution which includes a new reduced reach handlebar. Labor and materials came to $450. This seems a bit pricy to me. I was wondering if any folks out there has tried a riser of any kind that would push the bars back a couple of inches. Looking for a solution prior to my ride to Daytona in March.

Regards,

Dave
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Rider
'17 Springfield, '20 Chieftain
1,992 Posts
You might try a set of Rox Risers. I am currently using a set on my Chieftain with the stock bars. You can adjust them to give you a little up and back. This might provide enough for what you are looking for. They are easy to install. Here is a great deal for a used set from one of our forum members Rox Risers - Black 2” | Indian Motorcycle Forum (indianmotorcycles.net)

· Registered
116 Posts
FWIW, I second Rox Risers. I have a 2017 Chieftain and it pulls the bars back about an inch and a half. If they have scratched ones, buy those because they are so hidden, nobody will ever see them. Also there is a step-by-step on this forum. The only change to it is I recommend removing the gas tank. It gave me so much more room, and made the installation that much easier. Good luck with you decision.....
Ed

· Registered
172 Posts
I’m 5’6” and had problems getting comfortable on the Chieftain. I changed to an ultimate reduced reach seat and was still too stretched out reaching the bars.
I tried the Indian reduced reach handlebars and they were too low for me and the grip angle made my shoulders hurt worse than the standard bars. After that, I bought a Trask Bro bar which raised the grips 4” and I pulled them back a bit. It was still too far away from me, but the angle of the grips was perfect. I ordered a set of Rox risers and installed them with the Bro bars and that was the magic bullet. I pulled the risers as far back as I could without hitting the tank at full lock and adjusted the bars down a hair. I have about 2” off pullback and 3.5” of rise when compared to the factory bars.
I think my shoulders were strained by a combination of long reach, low grip height, and that awkward inward angle of the stock bars.

· Rider
'17 Springfield, '20 Chieftain
1,992 Posts
Are those KST or Trask bars? How do you like the grip angle?]

Edit; I just saw your comments 2 posts up from your pics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts