Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions? The one I'm using for my other bikes is too high. I like the looks of a couple that drain into the disposal container, a two in one system, but on the two models I saw I read of overflow problems.
The initial oil flow from the bike can overtake the draining speed of the two in one systems. Thanks for any input.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
HD branded, but who cares? Personally I just use a cheep pan, but this would be a nice addition to the garage. From what I've read you'll want to dump the collected oil ASAP instead of storing it in this container. Apparently if you set it up on end with all of the plugs sealed the thing deforms in the heat. I live less than a mile from a Jiffy Lube so dumping used oil is not an inconvenience.

$30 at your door isn't too bad I guess:
http://houseofharley.com/en/products/for-the-bike/maintenance-manuals-and-brochures/63795-10__harleydavidson-lowprofile-oil-drain-pan-6379510

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, Known1. I plan to get one at my local HD dealership this week. They are good folks and I like to support them. I don't need a change yet, only 2900 miles, but I'll report back once I use it. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good - one other note that I've read. It's important to pull both of the orange plugs when using it so the damn thing fills properly and doesn't burp resulting in oil all over everything. In other words, use common sense. heh

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I've read the same thing. I read where one poor guy had a big overflow on the garage floor. Pulling the vent is IMPORTANT!!! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
+1 on the cheap pan and the long funne. I also have a 2 1/2 gallon drain pan for my cars and trucks, that I dump the oil into from the smaller pan and take it to the recycle.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
That's my current setup, which works without any problems. I then transfer my oil into a different container and haul that up to Jiffy Lube. It would be nice to drain right into the container I use for transport so I end up with less mess and screwing around.

However, I'm in no hurry to spend $30 on a drain pan though. Particularly since I won't be changing my oil for another 8-14 weeks depending on weather. I won't bust my bike out of the garage until there's a good gully washer rain fall to wash away most of the sand and all of the road salt.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Has anyone tried the Formafunnel advertised on TV? I bought one and it is really neat for draining the filter without making a mess. It was pretty cheap and I have used it in a lot of places like filling transmission & primary case on my HD. Havent got to ride my INDIAN yet so dont have any experience servicing them

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
10344 said:
That's my current setup, which works without any problems. I then transfer my oil into a different container and haul that up to Jiffy Lube. It would be nice to drain right into the container I use for transport so I end up with less mess and screwing around.
I drop my used oil off at Jiffy Lube, too. I use one of those throw away aluminum cooking pans and then drain that into an oil container. I leave the pan tipped into the container over night and that's usually enough time to completely drain all the oil. The pan is re-used. I don't even bother wiping it down. I have a place, out of the way, to store the pan until the next oil change.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Placing a 2X4 board under your sidestand will set your bike a little more vertical, allowing more room under the frame, and the use of a cheaper plastic oil pan. Dump your used oil into a gallon milk jug, and off to your recycling center. Drain plug tightness torque - 15 ft. lbs.
DP

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
The drain pan that I have been using for 15 years now was an old steel 55gallong drum lid that I welded a 2 inch high strap around. It'll hold quite a bit and fits under ANY motorcycle.
EASY

1 - 13 of 13 Posts