Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Senior member / gold
6,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this battery for my Dark Horse a while back. I ordered it directly from the factory because they gave me the best price. Before they shipped it they test it and send the test results with the battery.
Now for my longterm report. This battery has never let me down, and it has never seen the trickle charger. I have had to have a couple of emergency operations to remove my gallbladder and accompanying complications. In the weeks that have followed my baby was not started. I had the itch, on a good day, to crank her up. She did not hesitate to light up and purr. I had to go to the Walgreens to pick up some medicine. One mile there and one mile back... what's the harm? My wife was still at work. She'll never know! I backed her out of the garage, donned my helmet, and off I went. Best feeling I had felt for weeks. Parked the bike at Walgreens, put on my COVID-19/Indian Motorcycle bandana, and went in and got my prescription.
Got back out, and my baby fired up instantly. I'm not sure how my wife found out how I had rode my bike, but she knew! She gave me a lecture that was more stern than a hellfire preacher. I know I shouldn't have taken the risk.
Anyways, I digress. The Wicked Start battery is worth every dime of the premium price I paid. You won't regret spending the extra coin when you're in the market for a new battery.
They offer 2 options for the Chiefs. I opted for the heavier duty one.
That's it! Have a great day, and safe riding! Hope to be back out there soon!!!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks for your reivew on the Wicked Start battery and continued speedy recovery. Ah yes, the wives always know what we are up to. It must be their 6th sense.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mine only lasted 9 months before it kicked the bucket and I really couldn't tell the difference between stock and it. YMMV of course.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
On there website they have some do's and don'ts about battery maintenance, apply these to the stock battery and it will last a very long time too.

DO: Charge the battery every 30 days when not in use.
DO: Check the terminals for cleanliness and loose connections.
DO: Try to keep the battery stored between 62 -82 degrees Fahrenheit.
DO: Check your battery charger voltage regularly.
DON’T: Use an automatic battery charger greater than 1.5 Amp.
DON’T: Use a battery tender after every ride.
DON’T: Ever let the battery voltage drop below 10 Volts.
DON’T: CHARGE FOR MORE THAN 48 HOURS AT A TIME!!!!

One of the interesting things you hear guys say about their filing batteries, but I keep it on a tender all the time which is the worst thing you could do.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Gall bladder troubles really blow, man. Glad you're on the mend.
Motorcycle therapy has proven successful~! While it's generally more commonly applied to PTSD, maybe your wife can understand this reasoning... maybe not.... 😅

·
Founding member
1,025 Posts
I never thought you weren’t supposed to keep it on a charger...? I keep mine on a charger and had my original battery for 4 years without an issue. Hmmmm.... Hate when I read professional advice that completely contradicts my actual ignorant experiences. Lol My ignorance was bliss, but now I’ll be more mindful of leaving it on the charger.
Good review btw, thanks for sharing.

·
Super Moderator
12,096 Posts
I kinda wondered why you went quiet for awhile - - Godspeed on your recovery!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,036 Posts
On there website they have some do's and don'ts about battery maintenance, apply these to the stock battery and it will last a very long time too.

One of the interesting things you hear guys say about their filing batteries, but I keep it on a tender all the time which is the worst thing you could do.
There are different types of battery tenders that are out there. Some of the cheaper ones put a continuous light charge to the battery. Roughly about a .25 amp continuous. Other tenders are more sophisticated. They can trickle charge the battery to a specific level then monitor the battery and add a charge once it drops to a specific level. The best tenders are the big tenders that will trickle charge then go thru a conditioning mode which basically does some pulse charging to the battery to deal with any sulfation than might be on the lead plates of the battery, then monitor the battery and add a charge once it drops down to a specific level. Needless to say all tenders are not created equal. That does not mean that using a tender all the time is bad, it depends on the type of tender that you use. The one that would apply to not using the tender all the time is the continuous charge.

Batteries can be stored at lower that 62 degrees. The issue with a colder battery is the colder the battery is the more differential voltage is needed to put a charge back into the battery. So if you have a slightly discharged battery and try to charge it at a lower surrounding temp you will never get the battery to a full charge unless you have a power supply that you can adjust the voltage on. Also a colder battery will have less capacity that one that is a good surrounding temp. That is why most of the emergency system batteries and standby power supplies that operate outside of the pressure vessel (cabin) on an aircraft will have electric blankets to keep the battery within a specific temp to keep them in peak condition. Dean

·
Bronze member
3,054 Posts
I never thought you weren’t supposed to keep it on a charger...? I keep mine on a charger and had my original battery for 4 years without an issue. Hmmmm.... Hate when I read professional advice that completely contradicts my actual ignorant experiences. Lol My ignorance was bliss, but now I’ll be more mindful of leaving it on the charger.
Good review btw, thanks for sharing.
I'm with you... I've kept my bikes on a tender (Battery Tender Jr.) all the time... plug it in after every ride... leave it in the bike over winter... my batteries last 5-6 years on average... we'll see how this Chieftain one lasts I guess..

·
Bronze member
1,939 Posts
I've kept my eye on these batteries for awhile, sounds good. Got this online AGM care recommendation- they say use a tender. Go figure, ymmv.

I've tendered my stock battery since day one, so far so good. 3 1/2 yrs+. Using my Deltran- 3 amp Battery Tender.

Reactions: Michigander

·
Bronze member
2,668 Posts
I use a "Battery Tender Plus" [trickle charger] and have been using it for years.[Actually,I have two of em.] And because they are only small 1 1/4 AMP trickle chargers,you can leave em on for as long as ya want and they won't hurt a thing.What they do, is SLOWLY bring the battery back to its' fully charged state,[12.6 volts] and maintain it WITHOUT over charging and or damaging the battery or its' electrical system.I've been using em for years now and NEVER had any problems.But they can NOT be used to jump start a vehicle which has a low or dead battery.[ I have a Marquette Industrial Charger for that] But they will slowly bring the battery back to it's available voltage which is when the battery can THEN be used normally again.But if the battery will not come back to its' available voltage reading,[12.6 volts] then the battery in NG!!!

FYI: When jump starting a vehicle from another vehicle, Never,NEVER connect the battery negative jumper cable on the vehicle that is being jump started,to it's battery negative terminal.Why?? Cause the battery can explode, and guess where the acid will end up nine outta ten times?? Give up?? "IN YOUR EYES" And guess what happens then??Anyplace else on the vehicles' engine block or frame is ok,just NOT on the negative battery terminal on the vehicle being jumped.The same would also apply to the motorcycle. So it's positive to positve with the jumper cables,but negative from the jumping vehicle to any ground point on the vehicle being jumped other then the battery negative terminal.And there's no charge for the tip!! lol lol Dave!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,028 Posts
This is the third summer for mine. Only time the battery is on tinder is during winter months.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’m on my 3rd summer with mine. On trickle charger if it is sits more 3or 4 days, and in the winter.
Has started every time .

·
Vendor / bronze
2,847 Posts
I have a 2016 Springfield and the original battery lasted at least 4 years before I began bragging about it and then it quit. So I replaced it. My bike never got charged and oftenest for weeks. Batteries seem to last 1-5 years based on your zodiac sign.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I live in Arizona. Do I have to bring my battery into the house when I'm not riding to keep it at or below 82˙? Just wondering....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm with you... I've kept my bikes on a tender (Battery Tender Jr.) all the time... plug it in after every ride... leave it in the bike over winter... my batteries last 5-6 years on average... we'll see how this Chieftain one lasts I guess..
My Chieftain is a 14 and I've kept it on a Battery Tender Jr since it was new and the stock battery is still in there, though I might change it next summer just to be safe lol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts