Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far have you gone on the longest day on your Indian? I'm looking for a motorcycle I can ride to rallies a long distance from home. Yesterday, I rode my R1150RT 700 miles and change. Left Burkesville, Ky at 0645 and got home to Wisconsin at 8 PM. This capped off a four day 1750 mile trip. Yeah, I was sore, but this morning was pretty well over it. I do this at least once a year.

My RT isn't perfect for LD rides. The windshield produces quite a bit of turbulence- it's noisy. There are aftermarket shields out there, but they're an expensive gamble. The seat has me constantly fighting a forward slide. That said, what I really like is how the day after a 700 mile ride to the mountains I'm recovered enough to take a spirited ride through the twisties. Now, I know a Vintage won't handle like a sportbike, but how do you feel after a long day on the road?

FWIW, I'm 52, but in pretty good physical shape.

Thanks!

PS- has anyone ridden one in a competitive road rally, e.g., the Minnesota 1000 or the Minuteman Rally?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have 2014 vintage and must say that it is the best riding bike I have ever ridden. I changed out of Goldwing Trike that I thought was the smoothest and best ride, but the Vintage surpasses
the Goldwing in comfort, maneuverability (I rode the wing both as a two wheeler and a trike), and for long rides of over 300 miles I feel fine. (Note my average ride is 300 miles and the shortest is
about 100 because as we all know the fun is on the road not in the garage).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used to ride a 07 Streetglide with a mustang seat, awesome bike that turned heads but would wear you down by the end of the day. I now have a 14 Chieftain and there is no comparison in the ride, way more comfortable and better performance, and at the end of the day I'm not worn down and ready to get back in the saddle and hit the road the next day.

·
Registered
57 Posts
How far have you gone on the longest day on your Indian?
3200 smile 10 day ride home from the dealer included 2 days 700's back to back, last leg to the barn. I could ride longer and the bike certainly would go the distance, but we run out of sunlight and I dont like to ride after dark. so 12 hour days is about the limit. poncho

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I did a week end turn from New Orleans to the Texas Hill Country a few weeks ago.

I had to break at around 450 miles on the way up because my hips were killing me. Once I got up there I bought a set of highway pegs for the crashbar and was able to do a 800 day straight through on the way back to New Orleans.

I felt pretty good after the return leg. Little things like pant leg flap and a jacket with poor ventilation wore on me way more than the bike did. These were never an issue on my Road King. This tells me that I needed to do a little fine tuning to the Indian before I left. The windshield height on the Indian is much higher. My feet on the floor boards were also higher on the Indian. Things that can be worked around if you are aware of them.

I will be making the same trip again at the end of the month and I expect things to go much smoother on this tour. The cruise control is a life saver. The Indian tracks like it is on rails. It is a mile eating maniac.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts