Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Roadmaster and am going on a 6,000 mile trip over 22 days. I just hit the 500 mile mark and will have the full service completed before I take off in May. I'm wondering if there will be any issues taking the bike on such a long trip without changing the oil or having any of the recommended adjustments or inspections done during that time?

·
Bronze member
1,842 Posts
Oil change intervals are recommended at every 5,000 miles. I really doubt that the oil will stop doing its job at 5,500. Change it when you get done with the trip. The stuff in the maintenance schedule for 2,500 is stuff you can do yourself. It is inspection of the bike. Easy stuff that shouldn't require a visit to a dealer. To be safe and have peace of mind though, check for dealers along the planned route. Have a good trip and ride worry free.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have a 2016 Roadmaster and am going on a 6,000 mile trip over 22 days. I just hit the 500 mile mark and will have the full service completed before I take off in May. I'm wondering if there will be any issues taking the bike on such a long trip without changing the oil or having any of the recommended adjustments or inspections done during that time?
When hitting the road I make it a practice to give the bike a complete wipe down, either at the end of the day or the start of the new one. It has nothing to do with making the bike pretty, but it makes me give the bike a thorough look over. Doing this will allow you to find anything that's become loose, any leaks or just anything that doesn't look right. Make a list of any dealers along your route, just in case. If your fluids are fresh when you leave, no need to be concerned until you get home.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Their is an Indian app you can download that lists the Indian dealerships throughout the country. Yea, I know it should have been included in the Ride Command System, but the originators must have been on a break when that obvious thought went over their head! Just saying...

·
Banned
77 Posts
I took my Vintage cross country last August. Philadelphia to Lake Tahoe and back. With detours and back roads and such we clocked just under 9 grand. Did and oil change before i left and one when I got back. Bike never so much as stuttered. You'll be fine if you do one when you leave and when you get back. Now i had about 3000 miles on my bike when I left also, but either way i almost doubled the recommended interval for oil changes and the bike performed fine. In fact, the oil still looked okay more or less when I did change it.

·
Banned
575 Posts
Personally would try to change oil at close to 5000 mile interval.Plan where you are going to be at that miealage and locate dealer ahead of time.Take filter wrench and allen wrench with you.Buy oil change kit at dealer and borrow drain pan and funnel to do it yourself.Or pay dealer,should be less than $150.Ride safe!

·
Gold member
6,463 Posts
just go and have fun! Do your walk around every day! A big clean up and a thank you for the nice ride to the bike! Ask for a free t/shirt ( a dealer t/shirt at every dealer you hit going and coming home! See it they participate. Tell them you'll be mentionig them on your Indian forum after the trip. Ride safe-take water lip balm and drugs!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Their is an Indian app you can download that lists the Indian dealerships throughout the country. Yea, I know it should have been included in the Ride Command System, but the originators must have been on a break when that obvious thought went over their head! Just saying...
Thanks everyone for all the info! I put the dealer app on my phone. Kickstand up in 32 days!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Safe travels on your trip. Please post pictures!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Keep checking air in shock.they don't seem to hold air a long time. I haven't figured out how often yet. Check tired too sometimes a cold morning made my lite come on but while riding they heated up and were ok

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,906 Posts
You might want to hit one of 3 dealers as you travel. There is one in North Carolina, one in Arkansas, and one in California that are top of the list dealerships. There are simply none better. You can see the praise each gets if you do a search. But I'd actually plan on being at one of those at the 2,500 or 5,000 mile mark or close. You just won't get better service from any one of those dealers and being a traveler in need of service I'd bet they would do you right. Especially if you made prior arrangements with which ever dealer. I know I'll hit one of them up if I'm in their neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
just go and have fun! Do your walk around every day! A big clean up and a thank you for the nice ride to the bike! Ask for a free t/shirt ( a dealer t/shirt at every dealer you hit going and coming home! See it they participate. Tell them you'll be mentionig them on your Indian forum after the trip. Ride safe-take water lip balm and drugs!
Plus 1 on the drugs :p

·
Administrator
20,536 Posts
Plus one on the "relax and enjoy" folks. I've taken my RM on at least one 5,000mi plus ride every summer. They're bulletproof. Do your final service the week before you leave, and make sure you put on a hundred or so miles to make sure everything's been tightened down -- you'll want to discover all that stuff before you leave.

If you just did your initial 500 mile service, you're golden. I did three rallies in three weeks right after my first 500 mi service and the bike was flawless.

Album: Three rallies in three weeks

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,259 Posts
You should be fine. One thing to check. The belt goes thru a normal break in period. They will stretch a bit when new. If you went in for the 500 mile break in check they should have looked at it. If not have it inspected before leaving. Dean

1 - 19 of 19 Posts