Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a dairy farmer for 32 plus years and shipped my milk to Land O Lakes. If you have ever seen the products in the dairy section of a grocery store you've seen the Native American Woman in it. Well it is being replaced after 90 plus years. So my question is will our Indian bikes be renamed next???

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Land O Lakes change story

I think I’m going to genuinely miss seeing her in the dairy section at the grocery store.
And I don’t say that because of what people used to say about her knees being able to be folded up on the box to her chest (if you haven’t heard of that before it might be too late now to try it). :sneaky: :LOL:

Seriously though it’s unfortunate they couldn’t have modernized it in someway, like the way Morton salt has always kept the umbrella girl.

Anything Indian tends to be in homage to Native Americans. I believe that’s what Hendee Manufacturing was thinking originally, having come from a time it was still a fresh subject on their minds. As archaic and ’wrong’ it may be.

Probably the only thing that could change it would be extreme measures by the politically or ethnically correct people.

egads. Have you seen the new Land O Lakes commercial? I have now.

Hate to say it but that right there hints as to a reason for removing the old (young) Indian girl.
They sing and dance to praise the modern female farmer. Ignoring the heritage of the Minnesota land they are working on.
At least that’s my take on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree but do you think Indian Motorcycle will be next?? If so what will they call our bikes?? Its only a matter of time and I believe we will lose the name.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
You make a valid point, however I can only see why a model name of a car or motorcycle might get passed over in the future.
Perhaps not the same for a company or brand name. But then what do I know, nothing about that sort of thing really.

Interesting sidenote, a company established in 1967 called Warrior here in Alabama built a new location near Polaris after they moved into Madison AL.
They have a chief war bonnet logo.
No connection to each other, it’s a tractor company.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes and let's not forget about the NFL Washington Redskins or all the schools that changed there mascot name. I hope it dosent come down to that.

·
Bronze member
4,454 Posts
Yes and let's not forget about the NFL Washington Redskins or all the schools that changed there mascot name. I hope it dosent come down to that.
The NFL Washington Redskins haven't changed anything.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
The NFL Washington Redskins haven't changed anything.
My old High School did...used to be Nathan Bedford Forrest High School...Home of the Rebels.

...now it is Westside High School.

·
Bronze member
1,263 Posts
Looks like a well-known advertising icon is getting furloughed ― and it isn’t temporary.
Land O’Lakes is removing the Native American woman who has appeared on its containers of butter and margarine since 1928. Instead, future packages will showcase photos of real Land O’Lakes farmers and co-op members, along with the phrase “Proud to be Farmer-Owned,” according to a company release.

The Grand Forks Tribune noted that many Native people, including North Dakota state Rep. Ruth Buffalo (D), have called the woman’s image racist. Buffalo told the paper the image goes “hand-in-hand with human and sex trafficking of our women and girls.… by depicting Native women as sex objects.”
Land O’Lakes President and CEO Beth Ford did not cite cultural sensitivity as the reason for the change.
“As Land O’Lakes looks toward our 100th anniversary (in 2021), we’ve recognized we need packaging that reflects the foundation and heart of our company culture — and nothing does that better than our farmer-owners whose milk is used to produce Land O’Lakes’ dairy products,” Ford said in a release.
“As a farmer-owned co-op, we strongly feel the need to better connect the men and women who grow our food with those who consume it,” she said. “Our farmer-to-fork structure gives us a unique ability to bridge this divide.”
Regardless of the reasoning, Buffalo called the decision by the Minnesota-based company “a good gesture and a step forward.”

She added, “We as a whole need to keep pushing forward to address the underlying issues that directly impact an entire population that survived genocide.”
The new packaging is already appearing on products like the tubs of butter and deli cheeses and will begin to appear on stick butter within the coming weeks.

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
994 Posts
We used to call the Marine Corps the "Suck" For good reason.

Reactions: SubDude and HyeHog

·
Vendor / bronze
3,019 Posts
I was visiting family in Albuquerque, two years ago and went to the local Indian Motorcycle dealer. I met some native Americans near the store. I asked them if the "Indian" name on our bikes bothered them. They told me not at all. If anything it gave them recognition on a very cool machine.

·
Vendor / bronze
3,019 Posts
If this keeps on going, I am going to complain when people call me a white man. When I am riding I am a "Polarian"

·
Registered
374 Posts
Getting rid of the Indian woman on Land O Lakes butter, while stupid, is relatively easy since the image is not required for the name. Obviously, the name "Indian" is required for our bikes. If at some point the company is required to change its name because it "offends," then we might as well just pack it in as a country. Something like half of the names of states are Indian in origin, including Oklahoma which literally means "red people."

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I wondered this when I joined the forum and wondered how long it would take.. apparently they had meetings with many of the tribes before buying the brand to check the mood..
but, since it's usually Liberal White Women that are offended for everyone else who isn't and make the stink, IDK how much the tribal talks will protect them?

My Highschool was the RedMen.. for PC reasons they changed it to Redwings.... IDK.. I think when that was voted on, they lacked access to the urban dictionary.. while I guess not offensive, definitely gross...

·
Silver member
5,009 Posts
I wondered this when I joined the forum and wondered how long it would take.. apparently they had meetings with many of the tribes before buying the brand to check the mood..
but, since it's usually Liberal White Women that are offended for everyone else who isn't and make the stink, IDK how much the tribal talks will protect them?

My Highschool was the RedMen.. for PC reasons they changed it to Redwings.... IDK.. I think when that was voted on, they lacked access to the urban dictionary.. while I guess not offensive, definitely gross...
Not all liberal white women would be offended by the Indian name of our moto's. You might want to check with Senator Liz'beth Warren to verify though ;)

1 - 20 of 132 Posts