Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was trying to figure out what sort of solutions we could find for locking the OEM Saddlebags. I think we can all agree that locking these bags is important, especially considering their easy release mounting brackets.

Here's a couple options I've found.
Locking side-release clips
PK047 Side Release Buckle w/ Combination Lock at Cord-Lock.com

Ratcheting key lock
InertiaWRX :: Leather Motorcycle Saddlebag Locks

One thing I like about this one is it gives you a good way to lock your helmet up as well. I don't entirely like how much drilling it takes, but if it works.

Adding another page to the topic to look at for options
MUTAZU Motorcycle Trunks

Another option:
Universal Saddlebag Lock Kit | Decorative & Protective Accents | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
694 Posts
I was trying to figure out what sort of solutions we could find for locking the OEM Saddlebags. I think we can all agree that locking these bags is important, especially considering their easy release mounting brackets.

Ratcheting key lock

One thing I like about this one is it gives you a good way to lock your helmet up as well. I don't entirely like how much drilling it takes, but if it works.

MUTAZU Motorcycle Trunks

Any thoughts?
at indians OEM price, they should already have something similar integrated. what were they thinking when they made a $1000 set of saddlebags with no locks? come on indian, MAKE us want to buy OEM!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
at indians OEM price, they should already have something similar integrated. what were they thinking when they made a $1000 set of saddlebags with no locks? come on indian, MAKE us want to buy OEM!!
This topic isn't about whether they should have included them. I think it's obvious that the inclusion would have been desired. This topic is about what we can do to secure the OEM bags if we want them.

·
Registered
694 Posts
This topic isn't about whether they should have included them. I think it's obvious that the inclusion would have been desired. This topic is about what we can do to secure the OEM bags if we want them.
i hear you, sorry. by the way i wouldnt even consider those plastic ones, but those other ones with helmet lock potential may be a good option. i originally ordered my bike with the bags, but called back and cancelled the bags when i found out you couldnt lock them. now you have me reconsidering........

·
Registered
370 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These look like they might work. If you (or anyone else) ends up doing something like this, please report back so we know if it's a viable option. I would love to be able to lock my bags, and having a helmet lock like that is pretty cool.
I sent an email to the company so I could find out more. I figure if I can use the ratchet part and then cover up the buttons on the top with some sort of engraved name plate, that'd be a good use case. I'll keep this post updated.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
i hear you, sorry. by the way i wouldnt even consider those plastic ones,
I too looked at the plastic ones with the combo feature and at first gave it the same thought that you did! :)

On second thought I remembered the old age adage that locks are not meant to keep crooks out, but to keep honest people honest!

If you wrapped the bags with anchor chain, if someone really wanted in... they will get in and probably destroy a thousand dollar set of bags doing it. :mad:

At least the plastic (maybe they are real tough Nylon?) would keep the casual prowler out of your bags?

As cheap as they are it would be one of my first choices and if they didn't suit me I could always go up a step or two to something else with little invested!

Just my opinion of course! :rolleyes::D:D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got an email back from the guy from InertiaWRX and he said they'd be able to even do a custom lock for the bags if needed and it'd be maybe $100. This will probably be the solution I take. I'll keep you all updated on how everything works.

Need the bike and bags first though

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks for the update - looking forward to the progress...

·
Super Moderator
5,884 Posts
On the Chief Forum there is a good thread on installing the HD Universal locks by Tumbras.

Locks n Lights

again, don't anyone get their panties in a bunch. This is about sharing informtion. besides, THIS forum is the best one anyway!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's what I've heard back as the official word.

After careful review of your style saddlebags, I think making a special kit without the “C” channels will work out for you.
The special order will have all hardware in the kit that you see on-line @ www.inertiawrx.com part #RBL-14 with NO “C” channels, special kit price will be $100 including shipping.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

Ratcheting key lock

MUTAZU Motorcycle Trunks

Another option:
Universal Saddlebag Lock Kit | Decorative & Protective Accents | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

Any thoughts?
Never keep anything in the bag I can't easily afford to replace, would rather have the crap I do carry in the bags taken then the damage by some moron trying to brake into them. I lock my helmet and jacket to the bike with a cable/padlock, and take the gps with me. On a road trips the bags/luggage will come into the motel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I replaced the plastic cam toggles that lock the saddlebag in place with 8mm header studs. The studs have a flanged nut on the back side with a tension pin I drilled thru the stud and nut (to keep the nut on the back/outside from turning). It now requires tools to put the bags on (or off). I also replaced the nylon stretch straps that hold the bag closed with 3/8 inch pins thru the leather straps. I will use lynch pins (or hitch pins) to hold them closed until i want them locked. I used stainless steel as much as possible to avoid rust. This solution is probably only temporary but here's some pics.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I replaced the plastic cam toggles that lock the saddlebag in place with 8mm header studs. The studs have a flanged nut on the back side with a tension pin I drilled thru the stud and nut (to keep the nut on the back/outside from turning). It now requires tools to put the bags on (or off). I also replaced the nylon stretch straps that hold the bag closed with 3/8 inch pins thru the leather straps. I will use lynch pins (or hitch pins) to hold them closed until i want them locked. I used stainless steel as much as possible to avoid rust. This solution is probably only temporary but here's some pics.....
American ingenuity and looks like a good countermeasure.

·
Registered
334 Posts
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ratcheting key lock

MUTAZU Motorcycle Trunks

Another option:

Any thoughts?
Locked and secured. Next is securing them to the bike

1 - 20 of 69 Posts