Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got issues with the Trunk not being able to open with the bags as you hit the "Unlock" on the Fab? Mine is VERY "sometimey"...had the bike for 2wks now, haven't taken it for 1st service yet as both my dealers(SD/El Cajon) are extremely booked, so i have to open my trunk with the key. Is there a setting to sync it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I only had mine one month and have not locked mine enough to have problems. Maybe something is loose inside trunk on locking mechanism.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was just going to start a thread about this. We went on a 200 mile trip yesterday and at the halfway point we stopped to eat. Locked the helmets up and went in to eat and when we came out to ride home hit the unlock and only the saddle bags unlocked.... Called Indian Roadside assistance and they offered $24 for a locksmith or they would tow it for us. Our dealer was not open which was only 6 miles away so my future son in law who rides a Harley called his dealer that was about 10 miles away and they offered to let us borrow helmets to get home!! We took a chance and rode the 10 miles without our helmets (State Law) and picked up the helmets from Harley to head home. Thank You Frontier Harley Davidson!!! Stupid of me to Not have the key with me I Know but a key is now on my key fob. So a word of advice take the key with you when you leave for a ride!!! Lesson learned. I'm just getting ready to call me dealer to get this resolved and also to get the air cleaner installed.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,049 Posts
Howdy Folks,
Check the connector plug that attaches the trunk's wiring to the bike's electrical harness; there is almost certainly a bad connection there if the bag locks are functioning correctly.
--- Randall

·
Registered
154 Posts
I will be getting mine checked out this coming Saturday. They said it could be one of several issues. They will also be putting on the air cleaner and doing a re flash. We have 1700 miles on it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok i'll check the connection, my bags work perfect tho...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Mine did something kinda like that the other day, as in, there was no reaction to pushing the lock button for several tries, until I opened and closed all bags and trunk twice, then it locked fine.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I was just going to start a thread about this. We went on a 200 mile trip yesterday and at the halfway point we stopped to eat. Locked the helmets up and went in to eat and when we came out to ride home hit the unlock and only the saddle bags unlocked.... Called Indian Roadside assistance and they offered $24 for a locksmith or they would tow it for us. Our dealer was not open which was only 6 miles away so my future son in law who rides a Harley called his dealer that was about 10 miles away and they offered to let us borrow helmets to get home!! We took a chance and rode the 10 miles without our helmets (State Law) and picked up the helmets from Harley to head home. Thank You Frontier Harley Davidson!!! Stupid of me to Not have the key with me I Know but a key is now on my key fob. So a word of advice take the key with you when you leave for a ride!!! Lesson learned. I'm just getting ready to call me dealer to get this resolved and also to get the air cleaner installed.
Do you mind lobbying your state representative/senator to get that helmet law repealed? I ride to Omaha a bit and hate putting on the helmet at the state line, then riding across Nebraska in 100 degree heat with my head baking. Sorry off topic...

I've never has a problem with the trunk unlocking. Maybe there's a problem with the connector? The trunk LED's all look good? Power to the trunk power accessory plug?

Kudos to the HD dealer helping you out.

·
Early joiner
190 Posts
Dealer had to replace one of the saddle bags lock because it stuck. I could get it to lock and unlock but I had to work it a couple of times.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Do you mind lobbying your state representative/senator to get that helmet law repealed? I ride to Omaha a bit and hate putting on the helmet at the state line, then riding across Nebraska in 100 degree heat with my head baking. Sorry off topic...

I've never has a problem with the trunk unlocking. Maybe there's a problem with the connector? The trunk LED's all look good? Power to the trunk power accessory plug?

Kudos to the HD dealer helping you out.
They are talking of repealing the helmet law, (with LOTS of provisions) here in Nebraska. I tried unplugging and plugging back in several times. The lights on the trunk were working fine and shut off every time I unplugged it and turned back on when it was re connected. My dealer said it could be several issues such as the fob, or the actual lock motor or even a computer glitch.... I will let everyone know after Saturday when I take it down to them.

·
3,668 Posts
Anyone got issues with the Trunk not being able to open with the bags as you hit the "Unlock" on the Fab? Mine is VERY "sometimey"...had the bike for 2wks now, haven't taken it for 1st service yet as both my dealers(SD/El Cajon) are extremely booked, so i have to open my trunk with the key. Is there a setting to sync it?
Not sure if this would make a difference but when I first got mine RM I could hear the trunk lid rattle a bit. Found the one latch was not fully engaged. Probable some tight seals. Now I push down on both corners to make sure I hear both sides latch. Maybe if one latch is not fully engaged it may cause the lock to act up. Dean E

·
4,072 Posts
I've got 2500 on mine with no problems. We used to have a Goldwing and the bags were always hard to shut. so i'm in the habit of push down on both sides of the lids when I close them. to make sure they shut.

·
Registered
154 Posts
So Saturday I took the Roadmaster to my dealer for the trunk issue. What they found was the electric lock was not fully engaged in in the plastic housing. One of the little lock tab/nipples was bent so it prevented the lock from engaging because it was crooked. They fixed that issue and also installed the high flow air cleaner....OMG the difference in POWER!!!!! Amazing difference!!!! As an added BONUS my drivers back rest was in so now ALL of my parts are in and ON!!! It was Definitely worth the wait even though I was a little more than impatient!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going in for my 1st Service this morning, at 1000 mls and told them about my trunk, so will update them with the info...thanks Poppa P

Reactions: Poppa P

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So got the 1st service done, wow i really feel it now...dealer said they will call Polaris on the Trunk issue and it may be a defect/recall issue, i'll keep an eye out...i'm the 3rd person this month with the issue in this area.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Same issue. Trunk locks with fob. Will not open with fob. Needs key. Dealer checked it out and looks like the latch is catching inside the housing and needs key to give enough force to open. Dealer contacting Polaris and will replace the mechanism.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yeah, Polaris will replace the defective latch for free. Did mine with no muss, no fuss.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The second day I owned my Roadmaster the trunk would not open. Went back to the dealer after a few hours of pulling yanking they cut the lid off. The cable on the left side lock had came loose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pretty much the same story. First night, enjoying the bike, couldn't get in the trunk...........finally got the keys from my hotel room and opened right up. Dealer replaced lock mechanism and no problem since.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts