Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Rider
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a new Klock Werks windshield on my Chieftain.
Should I Lock tite bolts on new windshield install?
Thanks for your help/input!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
I didn't with no issues. Just a suggestion, put tape on the square nuts so you don't drop one.

Phil

·
Vendor / bronze
2,935 Posts
Loctite is a good idea for the bolts and nuts. But don't use locktite on bolts the go into the aluminum frame of the bike. It can cause the bolts to cease up and may not come out. Don't ask me how I know this.

·
Rider
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard of others doing that, but I did not and have had zero issues.
Thanks Terry!

Instructions don't mention Lock Tite, will not use any and be gentle with bolt torque

I am using tape on back of square tabs

Thank to all who replied, y'all rock! =)

·
Bronze member
1,941 Posts
Loctite is a good idea for the bolts and nuts. But don't use locktite on bolts the go into the aluminum frame of the bike. It can cause the bolts to cease up and may not come out. Don't ask me how I know this.
Was it red loctite? That would definitely be an issue. OTOH I've been using blue loctite on threaded steel fasteners in aluminum threads for years and never had any issues removing them when needed.

Reactions: M.J.Hooligan

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm installing a new Klock Werks windshield on my Chieftain.
Should I Lock tite bolts on new windshield install?
Thanks for your help/input!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
LOW STRENGTH - Purple Loctite - 222 is a safe bet on small nuts and bolts.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,935 Posts
Yes, I only use red. I don't find the blue to work well enough for me. But it still makes me nervous to use any thread lock on steel bolts into aluminum. I have seen rain water cause galling. Any liquid could possible set up an electronic reaction and galling.

·
Rider
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not use any Lock Tite, went finger tight with the bolts, the install went well. =)

Klocked.sm.jpg

Reactions: Solo12

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts

In all your install videos it shows you using red Loctite which would explain what you experiencing.

·
Bronze member
2,202 Posts
I have in the past (loc-tite blue), currently didn't add any to the current windshield. No issues.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,935 Posts
Everyone has different experiences. I have spent hours removing seized bolts and one time I had to replace the entire fork clamp on a Scout. That is why I am offering a warning. It is better to be cautious and let me make the expensive mistakes.

·
Bronze member
2,002 Posts
Back when I was replacing the Scout windshield (twice) I found one of the screws loose.
No Loctite used, just good firm tightening done. Been a couple of years and not another loose screw again.
I grab the sides of the windshield every once in a while and give it a shake to be sure it’s staying tight.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I lost one of the windshield screws in my first 5000 miles and had to replace it. Shortly thereafter I bought another windshield and considered using blue loctite. Manufacturer said absolutely not! So, I didn’t. Have about 15K on new windshield and no problems so far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts