Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Lloydz Cams At Home Install

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  JPS 
#1 ·
Has anyone done the Lloydz cams install themselves? If so, was it really so difficult I'd need their install tool?

#2 ·
If you are talking about a Challenger engine I believe you have to drop the engine to get the cam covers off. Lloyds has some videos about this. If you are talking about the 111/116 engines you have to use the cam tool to keep you from dropping the engine. The cam tool holds the roller lifters up and out of your way while you R and R the cams. Plenty of Youtube videos about this to see if this is for you. If you are talking about the new Chief bikes I'm not sure they have cracked the ECM to be able to load maps to it yet. Others can chime in about that. Dean

#5 ·
Awesome, thank you. I usually do my own work but sometimes you'll find something has a quirk to not make it worth it. And since I have other bikes up ride it's not like I'll have to rush it.

Lloydz has the tune down for my combo. 💪🏽

#8 ·
For whomever has done the cam install...did you perform the crankshaft locking procedure that the instructions call for? I have the service manual and looked up how to do it and it seems overly involved. I've watched every cam install video I can find and none of them lock the crank that way. Thoughts?

#9 ·
@JPS -I have a PDF version of the service manual (somewhere) and did NOT consult it prior to installing Stage 3 cams myself. I watched the videos from Craig and Jules, printed out the checklist that Gremlin put together: Indian Cam Install Checklist

I actually had my laptop next to my bike and followed Craig's video as I did my cams. One think about using a punch to help line up the gears, make sure you have hardened steel punches, not a basic steel one. I ended up turning a couple cheap ones into junk because they bent on me.

The way Craig does the cam swap in his video is exactly how I did mine.

#10 ·
@JPS -I have a PDF version of the service manual (somewhere) and did NOT consult it prior to installing Stage 3 cams myself. I watched the videos from Craig and Jules, printed out the checklist that Gremlin put together: Indian Cam Install Checklist

I actually had my laptop next to my bike and followed Craig's video as I did my cams. One think about using a punch to help line up the gears, make sure you have hardened steel punches, not a basic steel one. I ended up turning a couple cheap ones into junk because they bent on me.

The way Craig does the cam swap in his video is exactly how I did mine.
I've watched his and Julian's videos several times and my plan is to follow Craig's and use some of Julian's tips. Thanks a lot for commenting. I'm going to rent Lloydz tools including the gear tool. It seems like it makes it that much easier. Again, thank you so much for the help!!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.