Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I just ordered the Lloyd'z performance slip-ons for my '17 Springfield. I need to get a corresponding hi-flow air filter t(and tune) o realize any performance gains. I am drawn to Lloyd'z "arrowhead" airbox, mostly for aesthetic reasons. I am wondering if it will give me any better performance than their offering which utilizes the stock cover. Their literature has some loft claims and it would seem to indicate the same performance gain when tied with a free-flowing exhaust an a new tune. I have PVCX that I bought from Fuel Moto, so I am good for the tune.

Arrowhead:

Performance AC using stock "bed pan":

Has anyone used the performance AC with the stock cover? Is their a performance reason to go with the arrowhead AC over it? There obviously is a $300 difference, plus I am concerned about getting caught in the rain with the exposed filter. Also, some have complained (or at least commented) that the ACs with the exposed filter are much louder than stock (heard this about the arrowhead, S&S, Wimmer, etc). By using the existing filter cover, would this option be quieter? I know it protects t from rain. Would I be getting performance from it that I would not get by just using a K&N filter with the stock enclosure? I do like the look for the arrowhead AC better than the stock pan, but I never felt the look of stock was bad, just not as good.

BTW, I did also looked at S&S, and besides feeling more "Harley" than the others, it and the Wimmer just did not look as good as the Arrowhead (in my opinion of course). Voodoo was too rich for my blood, and truly the $500 for the arrowohead is more than I would like to spend, but I also don't want to spend $200 now, then replace it later with something else because I made a mistake by being cheap - the total cost would be higher. Is there any other reasonable-priced AC on the market that I missed which looks as good or better than the arrowhead that I did not mention?

If I do get the arrowhead, I have to make the decision of chrome or black. The black one with the silver etching looks better in general, just don't know if it will look better on my '17 burgundy and silver Springfield. Does anyone have any pics of the chrome and black versions on this color bike? I probably would get the red filter.

Thanks,

--Wayne

·
Rider
629 Posts
From 2 years of reading in this forum, and from reading reviews from guys like CraigB and Racin Ray, I think the consensus is pretty much all the aftermarket intakes will give you about the same performance. There are a couple that seem to give slight advantages, the voodoo is one, the Vic baggers venum plenum is another, but they are the really pricey ones. As far noisy, it makes sense that the open ones would be noisier. My warranty runs out in November and I will be purchasing a tuner and intake for my Chieftain Darkhorse as Christmas to me this year lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From 2 years of reading in this forum, and from reading reviews from guys like CraigB and Racin Ray, I think the consensus is pretty much all the aftermarket intakes will give you about the same performance. There are a couple that seem to give slight advantages, the voodoo is one, the Vic baggers venum plenum is another, but they are the really pricey ones. As far noisy, it makes sense that the open ones would be noisier. My warranty runs out in November and I will be purchasing a tuner and intake for my Chieftain Darkhorse as Christmas to me this year lol
I cannot recommend the PVCX (now PV3 I guess) bought from Fuel Moto enough. The tunes Craig B gave me really woke up the bike. Once I add the new Lloydz slip-ons and AC I think it will take it to another level.

Riding this afternoon I looked at the placement of my left leg relative to the stock AC cover. My leg generally rest right against it and is positioned right over the center of the AC. If one of the exposed filter units stick out more than that, it will cause me to move my leg into an unnatural position. I will have to research that.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Unless your planning on maybe going with a 116 later or big cam. Honestly there's not much difference in any of them. Buy, my opinion is the Lloydz looks the best.

·
Bronze member
3,936 Posts

About a year and a half ago, someone asked Lloyd the same thing about intakes and performance, surprisingly he said pretty much the same thing not much difference. Mostly for looks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts