Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of installing Lloyds 585 cams on my 2016 RM. Their website recommends the High lift Valve Springs and Valve Seals. The most recent post I've seen on this is from 2018. Has anyone installed this kit recently? If so did you have any problems afterwords?

·
Bronze member
2,244 Posts
I did not install 585s and high lift springs n seals recently ... more than a year back.

BUT I have a problem since then:
I cannot transform back from Mr. Hyde to Dr. Jekyll anymore

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think the improvement you had with the 585's worth the cost? Did you replace the clutch with a heavy duty?
Thanks,

·
Bronze member
2,244 Posts
Do you think the improvement you had with the 585's worth the cost? Did you replace the clutch with a heavy duty?
Thanks,
Yes, had to upgrade the clutch. Slipping at will in 6th ...
I put the Barnett Extra kit in.

Worth it? YES ... baddest 111 around. Smoking 110 CVOs (with stage 1 and tune) and easily keeping up with 114 M8s with stage 1 and with TS116 factory setups. (still my top speed is limiter disabled ... so passing them eventually)

TS111 in stage 1 and stage 2 config have no chance.

Only minor (in my ears) downside: You can hear "a big cam valve train" at idle.
While riding no abnormal noise (too busy with enjoying anyway).

·
Bronze member
2,207 Posts
Reactions: CraigB1960

·
Bronze member
2,244 Posts
Would the Indian Heavy Duty Clutch be okay with the 585's vs the Barnett HD?
I think so ... Indian came out with it to complement the 116 builds.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Did my valve springs a month ago. Have 558 cams now. Will be changing cams to 585’s next week. I will be installing Vtwins heavy clutch springs to help the clutch from slipping.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not a mechanic so next question is: When installing the 585 cams, does the installation of the high lift springs and valve seats require significantly more time to do?
The dealer told me that the installation of the Indian Stage 2 cams is a 2 hour job which they don't replace the valve springs/Valve seals.

·
Bronze member
2,244 Posts
I'm not a mechanic so next question is: When installing the 585 cams, does the installation of the high lift springs and valve seats require significantly more time to do?
The dealer told me that the installation of the Indian Stage 2 cams is a 2 hour job which they don't replace the valve springs/Valve seals.
yes ... upgrading the valve springs "per the book" requires dropping the engine and removal of the heads.
~8 hours more. (plus head haskets!)

BUT ... there is a smarter way which will only cost you "only" ~4hours more labour:
tilting the engine slightly forward and putting the valves under pressure (to not drop down) either by air or by synthetic rope filling the combustion chamber. with the right springtool the valvesprings can then be replaced with minimal invasive operation :).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ouch! Thanks for the info. Not sure I want to spring for that much labor at $135.00 per hour.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts