Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Handwriting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

This post is my personal experience and opinion, I am not a employee or affiliated with Indian or Lloyd’s other than being a customer, and I paid in full for the service. I am not putting any other company down as I have not had any experience with there products.

Being #1 to get Lloyd’s challenger cams was a awesome experience. I can not recommend Lloyd’s Lloyd'z Garage and Indian Motorcycle Charlotte enough. Amanda Bramble, Tim Sutherland, and Ryan Randall are great at what they do and it’s a honor to know them and call them friends. Now to the review of my ride home.

Bike idles smoother than it did with the crt flash which alone is awesome. There is zero lag in throttle response now, I had a very small amount before cams with the crt flash. I reset the mpg widget when I left Indian and rode 70 miles with cruise set on 80, widget showed 40 mpg. Filled up and rode the additional 96 miles home between 95-100 mostly with blips of 125 or so easily. Torque in the midrange is absolutely amazing and the top end pull is a eye opener. Took me exit off interstate and turned, then from 10 mph I snapped the throttle back and she jumped up so far and actually spun with traction control coming on. Weather was sunny and 60 degrees at the time. A few miles later I short shifted at 4500 into 2nd and snapped her back and she responded by picking the front end up roughly 2 feet in the air😮 was I surprised. Stoped and filled up half a mile from home and got 38.3. Simply and amazing bike that is a Demon to ride now. If you are the fence about the flash or the cam’s just do it.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,281 Posts
Great numbers. That Challenger must be an animal. I certainly hope Lloyds learned his lessen about making cams that work with the stock springs on the bikes. It was a hard lessen for those with the 111s running the 585 and the early stock springs. His excuse about all that was pretty poor IMHO. Enjoy the bike. Dean

·
Registered
148 Posts
That torque curve is excellent,and the horsepower just keeps climbing!
I had a great experience 12 days ago at IMC of Charlotte when I had 585 cams,and new springs installed in my 15 Chieftain.Both Amanda and Tim took the time to chat with me while I was waiting...Josh did a nice job wrenching and tuning as well,and answered all my questions.

·
Bronze member
3,129 Posts
With HP & torque at about 135, is there any concern about the stock belt not handling the increase?

·
Silver member
3,588 Posts
I’m glad to see no torque loss in the lower third of the rpm range.

·
Bronze member
4,877 Posts
I’m glad to see no torque loss in the lower third of the rpm range.

Actually, there is, for some reason they made the dyno graph lines for the cam's extra fat compared to the before graph. If the after-dyno graph line was the same thickness as the before, it would be much more noticeable. It's not a huge difference by there is a loss in low end. Here is the graph that was posted on Facebook

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel
Colorfulness Photograph Rectangle Light Slope

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, there is, for some reason they made the dyno graph lines for the cam's extra fat compared to the before graph. If the after-dyno graph line was the same thickness as the before, it would be much more noticeable. It's not a huge difference by there is a loss in low end. Here is the graph that was posted on Facebook

View attachment 667437
Same graph as emailed to me from them.

·
Bronze member
4,877 Posts
Same graph as emailed to me from them.

I believe that. But they fattened the after lines to look better.

Lloyd Greer posted a Dyno of the first Challenger they did in house about 2 weeks ago with an almost identical chart, the only difference is the after-cam lines went fattened up and you could see much better the slight low end torque loss. Again, not huge but it was there.

·
Bronze member
1,679 Posts
OK, not bad....though I personally like a nice bump in torque at low and mid range.....but that's the design of these cams.....and I get it. Not for everyone, unless you like riding in the upper RPM range. The next fairly critical question in terms of numbers; HOW much did this cost AND I assume the price includes a new flash for the ECU. I'd like to ride a "demo" bike with this set up first, before I pull the trigger on my own bike. Just my thoughts...for what they are worth!! But "seat of the pants" ride is impressive.....always good to get some air under the front tire at a good twist of the throttle.....once in awhile!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, not bad....though I personally like a nice bump in torque at low and mid range.....but that's the design of these cams.....and I get it. Not for everyone, unless you like riding in the upper RPM range. The next fairly critical question in terms of numbers; HOW much did this cost AND I assume the price includes a new flash for the ECU. I'd like to ride a "demo" bike with this set up first, before I pull the trigger on my own bike. Just my thoughts...for what they are worth!! But "seat of the pants" ride is impressive.....always good to get some air under the front tire at a good twist of the throttle.....once in awhile!!!
Cost is right at 2700 for everything with tune provided you have the flash already

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,055 Posts
I'm just not getting off the fence so-to-speak. The engine must still be dropped from the frame to do a cam change. The labor cost to do this would have to be considerably higher than that of a Thunderstroke cam change. The Challenger engine is a short stroke configuration and is not made to be a stump puller like the Thunderstroke. The powerband and torque range in it's stock form is still impressive for being a short stroke motor. Polaris did a good job with the engine design but the throttle by wire programming not so much. These ECU programs that correct the throttle lag etc. are probably a bigger bang for the buck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Called them today.

No bookings are available because all currently available cam sets have been pre sold!
No timeline is available for when the next batch of a few hundred cams will be ready!
Cams can only be installed in Minneapolis and at their head office in North Carolina. Thats a long haul from the west coast!

Im disappointed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Called them today.

No bookings are available because all currently available cam sets have been pre sold!
No timeline is available for when the next batch of a few hundred cams will be ready!
Cams can only be installed in Minneapolis and at their head office in North Carolina. Thats a long haul from the west coast!

Im disappointed.
Schedule for sturgis in August

1 - 20 of 24 Posts