Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Not sure how much that magazine was paid to do the article, there is no way either electric motorcycle is ready for the "open" road.
With such piss poor range, only the Zero is somewhat usable at 21 grand. Live Wire is absolutely a no go at 31 grand tested.
What a crazy review. Zero has been at it far longer than HD. Zero must be doing something right.
In the end, with range to only be a short ride city motorcycle, I would rather buy a Scout 60 or just ride on with my Chieftain.
Both electric motorcycles are a dud in my view.
Enjoy it if you have bought one.
Pass.
Well Harley would have to paid off all of them because I have yet to read a bad review on them. The mark against the LiveWire is the price point and range. In the article the range is about the same with the Zero. The ride and handling on the LiveWire is very good which all the magazine articles points out. It gets high marks for fit and finish and performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well Harley would have to paid off all of them because I have yet to read a bad review on them. The mark against the LiveWire is the price point and range. In the article the range is about the same with the Zero. The ride and handling on the LiveWire is very good which all the magazine articles points out. It gets high marks for fit and finish and performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Absolutely. If they undercut Zero they would move more but volume is not part of the strategy

I would take the Zero if I had to choose.

·
Diamond member
8,847 Posts
Good article.
As far as "these are not viable" I say.

"Gotta start somewhere".
even with this start, I could ride it to work every day, take a small cruise and run an errand with out going to a charge station and never have to gas it up...
More than viable for me.. pretty ideal actually...
Only thing they lack at present is touring ability.
But as I said "gotta start somewhere"

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,890 Posts
There might be a viable future for EVs down the road. Environmental issues might someday make them imperitive. The initial cost will have to come down and the battery range will have to be extended further before they can compete with combustion engine vehicles.

·
Bronze member
1,176 Posts
For HD and the Livewire, it was a directive from the Board of Directors....plain and simple....to show they are a modern, earth-saving, carbon reducing, save the planet thinking forward type company. It's all in the marketing and presentation......though having 6 ICE HD's sitting on kickstands, I have to say the reviews are impressive. If you're just blasting to work (locally) and/or running short errands, this might be the bike which fills the niche for you. No more gas, no more oil/filter changes.....no nothing....just twist the throttle and plug it in. And if your employer is one of those tree-hugging type firms and has some EV charging stations in the lot, you get to recharge your batteries for free. Just need to match your application to the bike. If I can get one used or at a fire sale for about $10K, I might grab one. We all know HD is going to stop making these in the very near future.....so you can leave one to your great grandson and perhaps in 150 years it will be worth $20K. Who knows......let's just get through this pandemic for peets sake and start riding again..........

·
Diamond member
8,847 Posts
There might be a viable future for EVs down the road. Environmental issues might someday make them imperitive. The initial cost will have to come down and the battery range will have to be extended further before they can compete with combustion engine vehicles.
Agreed.

I'd mention most of that progress that we need comes from those brave enough to get in early thus putting them on the streets to get real world data, and also money into the manufacturer of which to move technologies forward..

21 - 26 of 26 Posts