Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,667 Posts
Other than the “look at me - gotta have something unique” buyer that’s got money to burn, who would drop $30k on a Livewire? I can save $10k and buy the new Ducati Streetfighter, have 208 hp to play with, and can venture anywhere without worrying about finding an electrical outlet.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Seems the target market are the urban areas where the quick charge capability is more likely...

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been waiting on a head to head review of the Live Wire and the Zero. While I’m not in the market for if I wanted to see how it stacked up against against the Zero. A couple of things things that stood out to me was the Live Wire had quicker acceleration than the Zero and when ridden aggressively had more range although neither were very far.
With the description of the Live Wires Handling I like the direction that Harley is going with the Bronx, Custom, Cafe Racer and the Street Tracker,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Would love a live wire. Might wait for the MK 11. It’s probably going to be cheaper and have more range. Then the current live wire would be worth about 1/3 of its current price.
although cheaper to run than an equivalent petrol engined bike on petrol. I would imagine using that sort of torque with that weight would eat a pair of tyres quite quickly. So money saved on fuel might need to be put towards tyres.
Range is a bit pants as well. 75 miles is rubbish.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,256 Posts
Another thing is the big oil lobbyists. They got the Ohio legislature to pass a $400 per year penalty to register an electric vehicle in the state. Hybrid vehicles will be charged $250 per year for registration. The excuse is that electric vehicles aren't paying any gasoline tax and hybrids pay less. This will discourage sales of these vehicles and kill the resale values of them in our state. Well played big oil! Look for more of this in other states.

·
Founding Member
1,929 Posts
Another thing is the big oil lobbyists. They got the Ohio legislature to pass a $400 per year penalty to register an electric vehicle in the state. Hybrid vehicles will be charged $250 per year for registration. The excuse is that electric vehicles aren't paying any gasoline tax and hybrids pay less. This will discourage sales of these vehicles and kill the resale values of them in our state. Well played big oil! Look for more of this in other states.
Does that not seem fair? I think if one vehicle has to pay for the highways then all vehicles should. Equal taxation for equal use. Should EV’s get a pass?

·
Bronze member
4,162 Posts
My State is doing the same.Big oil will lower prices as needed to maintain their hold on gas burning vehicles.

·
Read Only
416 Posts
I'm sorry guys but $30,000 for a vehicle that maybe goes 75 to 85 miles before needing a 1 hour charge on a level 3 charger or up to 8 hours on a level 1 or 2 charger is ridiculous and I don't care WHAT manufacture makes it. Zero has a better handle on the electric bike market but still, they are WAY overpriced for what they deliver, too. Even as a commuter, which is the ONLY thing either of these bikes are good for, they both fall short range and price wise.
Fun? Sure. Sounds like they are a blast to ride...that is until you are stranded in the middle of bugtussle Idaho with no charging system.
Maybe I'm in the minority here but the money, time, engineering it took to bring in the Livewire (and a year or two later than expected) could have been better spent on much needed frame and other improvements on the HD touring line.

Sorry for the rant but as I've stated in another forum, I've been to LOTS of rallys and get-togethers over the years and NEVER have I ever heard the words "Dang Bubba, that (insert your own bike) you are a-ridin sure does sound good. I wonder how much better it would be if it were 'lectric".

·
Bronze member
2,667 Posts
I agree Haird. The MoCo has many more pressing issues they could have focused on. I’d like to see the sales numbers for the Livewire after a year...bet they’ll make the V-Rod look like a success.

·
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree Haird. The MoCo has many more pressing issues they could have focused on. I’d like to see the sales numbers for the Livewire after a year...bet they’ll make the V-Rod look like a success.
I wonder if the Live Wire has more sells than the Victory Empluse ?
One of the reasons the H-D was forced out was because investors felt the same way that instead of focusing on electric Vehicles Harley should return to its roots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Founding Member
1,929 Posts
I don’t think the livewire was ever intended to be a big seller. I think it was HD dipping their toes into the market to test the waters. HD is many things, but stupid is not one of them. They would know it could not compete in the current market, so there must have been other motivitations. I think this was alluded to by some HD suits in interviews at the time of release. Their next offerings will be an attempt to compete, though, and the next breakthrough in battery technology will finally allow electric motorcycles to be viable.

I rode a zero, and was highly impressed with the sheet torque of the thing, no ICE bike could ever compete with that, but the looks left me cold. I could see adding an Electric bike to the stable in the future for just that reason, this is HD’s next concept, looks tasty.

·
Bronze member
1,818 Posts
I wonder how much of our federal taxes go to vehicle manufacturers to develop non fossil fuel vehicles, viable or not. also it could offset some of the minimal EPA mileage fleet requirements.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I still wonder if a Hybrid bike instead of electric only would not be the mark. Gas/Electric with +150 mpg and non-stop touring capabilities. Maybe Hybrid smaller bikes @+200 mpg would be a home with the younger gen. Still gotta stay below 20 grand for the touring model though as +55 mpg Hybrid cars are now available at 22 grand and 30 for any electric motorcycle is just totally unreasonable..

·
Registered
244 Posts
Until the Back to the Future Mr. Fusion gets to market I don't think e bikes will be anything but a novelty......

The video of the riding around with no engine noise is kinda neat tho....

·
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don’t think the livewire was ever intended to be a big seller. I think it was HD dipping their toes into the market to test the waters. HD is many things, but stupid is not one of them. They would know it could not compete in the current market, so there must have been other motivitations. I think this was alluded to by some HD suits in interviews at the time of release. Their next offerings will be an attempt to compete, though, and the next breakthrough in battery technology will finally allow electric motorcycles to be viable.

I rode a zero, and was highly impressed with the sheet torque of the thing, no ICE bike could ever compete with that, but the looks left me cold. I could see adding an Electric bike to the stable in the future for just that reason, this is HD’s next concept, looks tasty.
View attachment 584034
@Gort you’re absolutely right the Live Wire isn’t about big sells but about show casing what’s coming in technology. Polaris just used a better platform to show their new technology with the Challenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have ridden a couple Zeros and the Livewire and the newer sport Zeros are faster IMHO and cheaper. I actually owned the Victory all electric EmpulseTT. I loved the bike, the almost no maintenance and the immediate torque. Quick, quiet and smooth power delivery. Range sucked but it was so much fun and since it used the Nissan Leaf charger and they make those where I live, free public chargers are everywhere. But no way they are worth $20k-$30k. I got the Empulse cheap when Victory folded, less than $5k with the tax credit. It was well worth that. It lasted 3 years before the batteries collapsed (likely software problem.) But since the batteries had a 5 years warranty Polaris gave me a new bike for free. Can't complain about that either. Love to have another e-bike but not likely to get that lucky again

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Not sure how much that magazine was paid to do the article, there is no way either electric motorcycle is ready for the "open" road.
With such piss poor range, only the Zero is somewhat usable at 21 grand. Live Wire is absolutely a no go at 31 grand tested.
What a crazy review. Zero has been at it far longer than HD. Zero must be doing something right.
In the end, with range to only be a short ride city motorcycle, I would rather buy a Scout 60 or just ride on with my Chieftain.
Both electric motorcycles are a dud in my view.
Enjoy it if you have bought one.
Pass.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts