Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the gear position switch recall done on my 2018 CDH at at my closest dealership (60 miles away in Iowa) on Saturday. Today, I was looking over the invoice and noticed a note added by the technician that one of the grommets on the right side cover was torn. So I checked it, and sure enough, it was. As I sat and thought about it, I kind of got irritated about it.

1) Why didn't the tech just replace it under warranty or just plain goodwill, or ....

2) why didnt the service mgr say something to me about it when I came to pick it up so it could have been purchased or replaced under warranty, if applicable, right THEN. I looked up the part on the online parts catalog...its 1.79. So now, in my opinion, that dealer missed a golden opportunity to be a GREAT dealer. They could have just replaced it under general principles of good service or they could have said something to me and I would have gladly paid for a new one as opposed to my side cover blowing off going down the road and costing an arm and a leg to replace. Now I either have to order one online and wait god knows how long to get it, or, hope they have one in stock and drive 120 miles round trip, AGAIN, to get it.

·
Bronze member
2,235 Posts
I assume this is for a side cover grommet? Good point, I'd have to agree with the OP especially if it wasn't brought up to the owner/customer at pick up. Dealers are dealers, doesn't matter which brand. A good or great one stands far above the norm.

·
Bronze member
2,662 Posts
The tech noted it...so the Service Mgr. should have asked if you wanted it replaced, but things fall thru the cracks. I’m sure there were several things going on in the shop that day. People get busy and forget things.

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
973 Posts
To help during the pandemic the Ft Myers Indian dealership has dropped it's hourly rates. It had been $130 per hour, now it's way down to $110. Damn, I'm going to save some money now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The dealer right up the road from us is ALWAYS busy; sometimes up to a month before they can work you in. The dealer 2 hours away has ALWAYS gotten us in within 2 weeks and has great prices. My husband and I made appointments for oil changes, and a new rear tire on his bike, and they did the gear sensor recall AND updated his Ride Command while we were there all on their own. I definitely consider Crockett Powersports in Chattanooga, TN a top tier dealer!

·
Bronze member
1,962 Posts
A little good will goes a long way.
It falls into the category of good news travels fast. Bad news travels faster. In an ever shrinking market the smart players PFA to the small things.

·
Rider
944 Posts
Two days ago in Scottsdale Arizona, I took my bike in for the gear shift sensor and another issue under warranty. At check-in, I added that the 116 badge on the left side of the motor was coming off.

At pick up the service, the writer told me "yes it is loose a bit, I don't have double-sided tape." He then told me to go to the auto store and buy some 3M double-sided tape. I asked so it's on me then? he replied yes and my reply was that's unacceptable but I'll take care of it. On my drive home, my undies moved further up and I continued to get ticked about the whole conversation. My bike is still under factory warranty. So today I called the dealership and talked to his boss and explained to him what went on. He said, "No that does not sound right, you shouldn't have to fix that." He said "I order double-sided tape all the time he just doesn't know it." Kind of a lame excuse because the bike is under factory warranty but he agreed to fix it and had a service writer call me and set up an appointment.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two days ago in Scottsdale Arizona, I took my bike in for the gear shift sensor and another issue under warranty. At check-in, I added that the 116 badge on the left side of the motor was coming off.

At pick up the service, the writer told me "yes it is loose a bit, I don't have double-sided tape." He then told me to go to the auto store and buy some 3M double-sided tape. I asked so it's on me then? he replied yes and my reply was that's unacceptable but I'll take care of it. On my drive home, my undies moved further up and I continued to get ticked about the whole conversation. My bike is still under factory warranty. So today I called the dealership and talked to his boss and explained to him what went on. He said, "No that does not sound right, you shouldn't have to fix that." He said "I order double-sided tape all the time he just doesn't know it." Kind of a lame excuse because the bike is under factory warranty but he agreed to fix it and had a service writer call me and set up an appointment.
Im glad they are going to take care of it. That is total BS what the writer told you at first. I would have been livid. Mine is getting fixed tomorrow. The left side engine mount on my CDH oxidized so I am having them replace it under warranty. The same day I called the owner to complain about the grommet not being fixed, ( they said they would ship one to me that day at no charge,) they called a bit later to tell me the engine mount had come in. I told them to hold off mailing the grommet and I would bring bike in to have the mount replaced and they could replace the grommet at the same time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts