Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered last night that the baffle on the left exhaust pipe has a little surface rust on it. Nothing on the right. I am waiting for an answer from Polaris and will post the outcome.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would think a little buffing with some steel wool maybe a little salt water rinse and you can get the right side to rust up nice and even with the left side.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4902 said:
I would think a little buffing with some steel wool maybe a little salt water rinse and you can get the right side to rust up nice and even with the left side.
Excellent idea. Perhaps I can do that on the rest of the bike, too, to give it that vintage, pulled out of a barn look. :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the same problem on my boardwalk. The top exhaust looked exactly like your left exhaust but the other was perfect. It just wiped off with my fingers when I washed the bike. No steel wool needed.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
....... the left pipe on any dual system with a crossover will do that.
Just squirt a little BBQ black spray paint into both ends and it will never be noticeable again.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless you convert it to true duals like Harley riders do, they will do that. Like was mentioned, spray a little black paint into the tips and it will not stick out as much. The right side pipe is the main pipe, the left is there mainly for looks and to add volume (size) to your exhaust. That in turn makes for a quieter running system and keeps temps down some, by giving the gasses an escape when the motor is wound up.
EASY

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spray WD40 on mine every few months and they look beautiful.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shark fins will hide that ;-) I can't wait till my accessories arrive!!!

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Samson exhaust is making new pipes for the Indian he said early next year

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
18515 said:
Shark fins will hide that ;-) I can't wait till my accessories arrive!!!
Ummm, nope.
Mine has the same issue, both fins have a little bit of surface rust inside. I will just wipe them out with some steel wool and spray some high heat paint also.
Outer chrome is great but the insides were not chromed the same.
No big deal for me.

Edit : I just looked at the pic again and mine is not that bad, just in the bottom of the fins, I will fix it myself but the pic does look worse then mine does.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well shoot - thanks for bursting my bubble Spider ;-) I'll probably end up doing the paint thing myself, but am interested to hear what Polaris has to say about that happening.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
18515 said:
Well shoot - thanks for bursting my bubble Spider ;-) I'll probably end up doing the paint thing myself, but am interested to hear what Polaris has to say about that happening.
Sorry, i'm pretty good at leting people down, so i've been told, lol.

Edit : Yes I would like to know also, I mean it really should not rust so fast but I will call my Dealer ' before ' I do my own fix just in case we can get the issue fixed at the factory.
Rain will get in the end of the exhaust if you are parked and i'm sure Polaris / Indian will not want people to see the rust on a brand new expensive machine, can't be good for future sales.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll be contacting Indian about my right exhaust pipe. I noticed the top of the pipe has scratches all over it just under the bag fringe. I find it hard to believe that only the right pipe would be scratched, the left is perfect.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, apparently a little BBQ spray or WD40 won't do the trick. Just got the call from my dealer that Indian will replace my left pipe. Little disappointed, since it is a 6 hour round trip for me and no freebies for my 'inconvenience were offered.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well you do get to ride for 6 hours on a nice motorcycle!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I shot mine with flat black BBQ paint as soon as the pipes cooled off from the ride home. I did the same with my L1S2 pipes on my Vision. Haven't had any problems to date.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts