Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,418 Posts
I would think that a touring model of the Challenger is in the works. Lower fairings and a tour pack. Since I have deleted the cat and have a custom PVCX tune on my 15 RM it does not give out enough heat for me to even think about it. Never even considered the Captain Itch crotch cooler, it just does not get that hot. Dean

·
306 Posts
For those that have read the history of Victory and followed the design of Indian. They learnt from Victory mistakes to build the full touring bike first and strip it down as opposed to trying to build it up. I’m sure the Challenger is the stripped down version of the touring( Roadmaster) model. We are waiting........

·
Bronze member
1,950 Posts
I would think that a touring model of the Challenger is in the works. Lower fairings and a tour pack. Since I have deleted the cat and have a custom PVCX tune on my 15 RM it does not give out enough heat for me to even think about it. Never even considered the Captain Itch crotch cooler, it just does not get that hot. Dean
I agree, after the removal of the cat and a good tune my Roadmaster runs as cool or cooler as a water cooled Challenger.

·
3,418 Posts
I agree, after the removal of the cat and a good tune my Roadmaster runs as cool or cooler as a water cooled Challenger.
I got my 2015 RM in November of 2014. The first 500 miles were brutal for the heat it put out even for November. I kept on checking the seat heat to see if it got bumped to the high position. I first added the Dobeck programmer and that helped but then did a custom tune from @CraigB1960 with the PVCX and the Jackpot header and that pretty much did away with any heat I got from the 111. Dean

·
Bronze member
1,950 Posts
Just got our 19 Elite not even a year ago and finishing up a number of upgrades, including nuking the cat. Can’t see another bike for a good 5 plus years. Will have to see what they have at that time. Water cooled will probably be the standard at that time.
I’m typically on a 10 year turnaround on my main bike. A few other bikes usually find their way into my garage. I’m pretty certain the next one will be water cooled.

·
Rider
548 Posts
I’m typically on a 10 year turnaround on my main bike. A few other bikes usually find their way into my garage. I’m pretty certain the next one will be water cooled.
I'm only putting 5-10K a year on my bike now, so ten years would probably be my guess on her life time with us as well. May get an itch around 7 years, but very happy with our RM so don't really see much that can be improved over what we already have. With the cat gone, glassed pipes, Stage 1 and 2, a good tune, and all the little extras done she's about as sweet as she can be. Oh, and next month we'll have her paid off and hold the pink slip :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Coming off a Kawasski Vaquero, 1700cc, liquid cooled, it was still hot. I'm not sure how much cooler the bike will be. If in traffic or standing at lights if the fan kicked in the heat was directed back at the rider and you roasted. At the end of the day we're sitting on top of a small car engine and actually larger than some cars, it's going to get hot and heat rises.

·
Rider
548 Posts
Coming off a Kawasski Vaquero, 1700cc, liquid cooled, it was still hot. I'm not sure how much cooler the bike will be. If in traffic or standing at lights if the fan kicked in the heat was directed back at the rider and you roasted. At the end of the day we're sitting on top of a small car engine and actually larger than some cars, it's going to get hot and heat rises.
Spot on...all you can do is mod the bikes to radiate as little heat as possible. The secret is still air flow over those heads. As long as you’re moving the heat stays in check. After the cat and glass work is done I’ll evaluate the heat and if those still aren’t enough I’ll throw on a set of LuvJugs, those things perform as advertised. Not a huge fan of the look but they aren’t terrible looking by a long shot.

·
3,418 Posts
Yeah, the 1700 Vaquero and Voyagers got really hot. Even after the mod program to aid cooling they were still a hot running bike. Kawi really needed to do more homework on that bike before releasing it to market! Dean

·
Rider
1,210 Posts
Spot on...all you can do is mod the bikes to radiate as little heat as possible. The secret is still air flow over those heads. As long as you’re moving the heat stays in check. After the cat and glass work is done I’ll evaluate the heat and if those still aren’t enough I’ll throw on a set of LuvJugs, those things perform as advertised. Not a huge fan of the look but they aren’t terrible looking by a long shot.
What kind of pant are you riding in?

·
Bronze member
1,841 Posts
can someone drop the LC 108 power plus in a roadmaster ? :):rolleyes:o_O;):):)

·
4,826 Posts
Not sure just how different the frames are or the motor mount bolt pattern for that matter. It's not known if an engine swap can be done but I bet somebody out there will try it at some point.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The only thing water cooling would bring to the table would be lessening the chance of the engine cutting off from standing still heat, I would think. As someone stated before, water cooled bikes can roast you as well. I had a 2008 Kawi Concours 1400 and thought I would die from the heat when I first got it. Kawi eventually made some modifications and it got more tolerable. I just bought a 2020 RM and that will last stay in the stable for quite a few years.

·
Rider
548 Posts
The only thing water cooling would bring to the table would be lessening the chance of the engine cutting off from standing still heat, I would think. As someone stated before, water cooled bikes can roast you as well. I had a 2008 Kawi Concours 1400 and thought I would die from the heat when I first got it. Kawi eventually made some modifications and it got more tolerable. I just bought a 2020 RM and that will last stay in the stable for quite a few years.
Yep, water cooling doesn’t mean no heat. Even with water cooling it’s a matter of air flow and if you get a big engine getting very little air flow in traffic the thing is going to start pumping out heat, especially in the summer when everyone wants to be out riding. The EPA requirements are causing a good amount of this because we know if you mod the bike a little the heat is greatly reduced. For roughly a grand you can gut the cat, ceramic coat the pipes, and put on a good tune, problem pretty much solved. Add in a LovJugs if you ride a lot in heavy traffic and don’t mind the look or remove the lowers in the summer. I like the lowers, its one of the things that makes the RM as RM so leave them on and just do the other mods which is cool enough for me. Rear cylinder deactivation that Indian put on the 111 has also helped.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The Scout can be quite a furnace when the fan blows up the hot air from the radiator.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,568 Posts
As long as I can afford one and still hold a cruiser up I will always have a Vintage in the garage. But I wouldn’t Mindy having a either a touring version of the new Challenger post issues or a liquid cooled Roadmaster. My better half and I have wanted a vintage car for a while so that will come before another bike as I am the only rider n the family. Her son is the sports adventure motorcycle type so only so much room in the garage for a bit.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts