Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Lindian 111 rods one time use !

1078 10
Well I'm doing my 116 build and got the old rods out . To my surprise indian uses a break away style rod cap .pics below. If you've ever wondered why they don't give your rods back when they install a 116 BBK this is why .you literally break the old ones when removing them.
Brown Wood Tool Hardwood Wood stain
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Bronze member
2,006 Posts
The rods are "fractured" at manufacture and this is a long established process used by more and more manufactures. The big end of the rod is cooled to a very low temp and the end is broken off during manufacture. This creates a perfect rod to cap surface much more precise and reliable than interference fit rod bolts or dowel pinning the cap to the rod. Bolts are still used to hold them together and secure to rod to the crank. The rod bolts are removed and the 2 pieces are separated as usual, the rod is NOT broken to remove it, it is already broke!!!

RACNRAY

2,983 Posts
The rods are "fracture" at manufacture and this is a long established process used by more and more manufactures. The big end of the rod is cooled to a very low temp and the end is broken off during manufacture. This creates a perfect rod to cap surface much more precise and reliable than interference fit rod bolts or dowel pinning the cap to the rod. Bolts are still used to hold them together and secure to rod to the crank. The rod bolts are removed and the 2 pieces are separated as usual, the rod is NOT broken to remove it, it is already broke!!!

RACNRAY
In addition, they are not "one time use" and indeed are reuseable, as long as care is taken not to damage the mating fractured surfaces. Like Ray said, common practice in all kinds of machines, and has been for a long time. The first time I saw it was rebuilding a worn out 2 cylinder vertical shaft Briggs and Stratton 18 horse mower engine back in the early '90s. That engine was old then.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rods are "fracture" at manufacture and this is a long established process used by more and more manufactures. The big end of the rod is cooled to a very low temp and the end is broken off during manufacture. This creates a perfect rod to cap surface much more precise and reliable than interference fit rod bolts or dowel pinning the cap to the rod. Bolts are still used to hold them together and secure to rod to the crank. The rod bolts are removed and the 2 pieces are separated as usual, the rod is NOT broken to remove it, it is already broke!!!

RACNRAY
Cool I just thought they didn't want us to know ? I was hoping someone would know ythank you !

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In addition, they are not "one time use" and indeed are reuseable, as long as care is taken not to damage the mating fractured surfaces. Like Ray said, common practice in all kinds of machines, and has been for a long time. The first time I saw it was rebuilding a worn out 2 cylinder vertical shaft Briggs and Stratton 18 horse mower engine back in the early '90s. That engine was old then.
Thank you

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am considering buying the 116 bbk and installing myself this winter.However,I have questions about removing the 111 con rods without splitting the cases.
Snapon part # FRDHM10 ⁹torque adapter or be very careful and cut the rods I bought the adaptor . I have an 18 but I bought the 19 and newer kit . I'm having indian vtwin performance do my head work and bought injectors from him . If you have a 14 through 18 do your homework. I bought 19 kit because I was already having head work done . Look them up he has a 118 kit 120 stroker kit or you can do stock bore high compression 111 pistons and Carillo rod kit .he's a good dude and will talk to you like a person

· Registered
293 Posts
Snapon part # FRDHM10 ⁹torque adapter or be very careful and cut the rods I bought the adaptor . I have an 18 but I bought the 19 and newer kit . I'm having indian vtwin performance do my head work and bought injectors from him . If you have a 14 through 18 do your homework. I bought 19 kit because I was already having head work done . Look them up he has a 118 kit 120 stroker kit or you can do stock bore high compression 111 pistons and Carillo rod kit .he's a good dude and will talk to you like a person
I appreciate the info.My main goal is just to freshen up the top end,and beef up the bottom with the updated rods on a small budget.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate the info.My main goal is just to freshen up the top end,and beef up the bottom with the updated rods on a small budget.
That's where I was at but ended up doing the headwork so I peaced my kit out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts