Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone swapped out their RM stock speedo and tach for the black faced Limited style?
I really don’t like the red background lights on the stock, hard to read at night they seem to bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I have not but would love the Black face ,it looks so much more classy. The cost would be up there with the prices Polaris ask for.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not but would love the Black face ,it looks so much more classy. The cost would be up there with the prices Polaris ask for.
Yeah I figure about $500-600, parts and labor due to having to remove the fairing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
DF59581C-DD30-4376-A300-23FD7A7DB021.jpeg
I installed the black faced gauges onto my 17 RM 18mth’s ago took just over 3hr’s to install, they should be fitted std on the RM, upside to fitting them a lot easier to read at night with the white backlight, down side is you loose your mileage, back to zero start, I have the black faced speedo on my 14 Chief Vintage, The speedo also has the white back lighting but the gas gauge has a red backlight, I deleted the gas gauge as the the gauge needle fads in the sunlight and use the digital gas gauge in the speedo, use the blanking plug from the CDH were the gas gauge was mounted

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a set of the Black faced gauges that I'm just waiting on a opportunity to install them. I didn't realize that the mileage would be reset to zero. Good information to know.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I would love a set of them ,but can not justify the cost and our laws do not allow you to just reset the speedo to zero as it has to represent the true mileage of the bike or cars. It has a lot to do with dodgy car years years ago selling older cars with high mileage and winding back the miles to make it look as if it was a newer car with low miles. So these days our Kms./ Miles, are recorded on our registration checks each year we have an inspection for road worthy certificates . Know if a car or bike dealership changes the speedos for any reason they have to set the true Klms./ Miles to what it was before it was changed . Plus if you resell your bike or car, it would come back and bite you ,the fines are massive also. Davo, I wish we could do a lot of things you guys seem to be able to get away with.I have to add that that looks so nice and adds a bit more class to a classy bike . Thanks for sharing too. :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Geoff you can legally change out the speedo with the mileage set to zero here in NSW you just need to fill out a form for the RMS, That’s what the Sydney dealer does when it replaces a faulty speedo, Iv’e investigated the possibility of resetting the mileage, the speedo and tachometer are made by VDO, was told Polaris will not supply the codes to VDO to reset the mileage, the engine hours are recorded on our Indians, that would be a rough way to check the mileage against the hours, I just had a rego inspection on my Chief Vintage, my speedo is out 48000 km, I showed a photo of the original speedo mileage at time of inspection, no issues passing inspection, if I ever sell the Chief the old gauges will go with the bike.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Geoff you can legally change out the speedo with the mileage set to zero here in NSW you just need to fill out a form for the RMS, That’s what the Sydney dealer does when it replaces a faulty speedo, Iv’e investigated the possibility of resetting the mileage, the speedo and tachometer are made by VDO, was told Polaris will not supply the codes to VDO to reset the mileage, the engine hours are recorded on our Indians, that would be a rough way to check the mileage against the hours, I just had a rego inspection on my Chief Vintage, my speedo is out 48000 km, I showed a photo of the original speedo mileage at time of inspection, no issues passing inspection, if I ever sell the Chief the old gauges will go with the bike.
Thanks good info I know that they tighten the laws around this because of some shonky car sales guys and rebirthing etc.Plus some great imports. I had a idea that is someone like VDO or a recognised dealer could do the paper work to allow the change over ,but thought you have to have good reason to do that . I know once anything here in Australia ,particularly here in NSW Is noted on your rego and against your vin. number there is no issues . Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts