Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know why (well I have a couple ideas anyway) the factory doesn't install lights in the saddlebags. My ideas are: more S#!÷ to break, a wire harness headache, more cost, etc....

But for $30k for a bike, why isn't there a small LED light inside the bag so folks that ride at night dont have to grab a cell phone and use their light to find their clear glasses to swap out or to grab a pair of gloves.

Has anyone found a stick on led or push button led that is battery operated that works well? I have see small motion activated strip leds that look cool and have adhesive strips.....but dont know, for $25, might give it a try.

Thoughts or pictures of attempts.....

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I dont know why (well I have a couple ideas anyway) the factory doesn't install lights in the saddlebags. My ideas are: more S#!÷ to break, a wire harness headache, more cost, etc....

But for $30k for a bike, why isn't there a small LED light inside the bag so folks that ride at night dont have to grab a cell phone and use their light to find their clear glasses to swap out or to grab a pair of gloves.

Has anyone found a stick on led or push button led that is battery operated that works well? I have see small motion activated strip leds that look cool and have adhesive strips.....but dont know, for $25, might give it a try.

I know Harley Davidson use to sell a battery operated light for their tour pack trunks. They also sold lights that mounted under the tour pack trunk to shine down on the saddle bags.

Not sure if they still do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
A few weeks ago, one of our members from Europe posted his invention of an LED light under, or around the kickstand that was tied to a timer. It lit up the area around the kickstand for several minutes then shut off. It seems reasonable that his design could be modified to:
  • Extend into the saddle bags using the same timing circuit, or
  • Using the lock switch as an initiator, flip on LED lights for a specific time frame.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
I have see small motion activated strip leds that look cool and have adhesive strips.....but dont know, for $25, might give it a try.

@Anthregi405 I don't think you will like the results. I put some of those motion lights inside of the night stand drawer and clothing drawers. They would turn on at the slightest vibration in the house. You could see light coming through the cracks around the drawers at night. When, I really wanted them, either the battery was dead or the tape turned loose so the light was rolling around. Can't see them working correctly on a vehicle.

If you have LED lizard lights, or mood lights, or whatever the correct name is, you could tap into that with an LED strip inside the bag.

·
Registered
6 Posts

button lamps by panther vision.jpg amazon Panther vision, Sticks to anything, switch operated $9.40

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I've seen peeps use battery powered magnet actuated lights in bags, or other things with a door.
Available nearly anywhere and very cheap.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I thought those "motion activated " would prob not work due to bike bouncing and gear shifting around.... i like the stick on and push a button type. Ill try those and post a pic at night. For $10-$20 worth some trial and error.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Great Idea, I think it would be very easy to obtain an led strip light and battery pack. Wire in a mercury type tilt switch attached to the lid that would make contact when the lid is open (vertical). Here is a switch idea.

Right side saddlebag has a 12v power port already that could be used as a power supply. Need to check the other side for possible power lead.

You may have found me a new project to work on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Chieftain Limited. No power outlet in mine...maybe just the Roadmasters? I like that tilt switch idea.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You still should have a power supply on the limited, they are hidden and most don't realize it's' there.

The tilt switches are very reliable and can be mounted with hot glue, double sided tape or velcro. Here is an idea for LED strip lights, 3M tape mount. There are many different options on Amazon.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
You have a power supply in your right bag under the material on the top lid. Feel for it.
My RM has the power outlet in the RH saddlebag, bottom rear. My wife's CDH is in the same location. Nothing on the left side.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. So I finally got to my project. I ordered the cheapo lights off Amazon. $22. Its the 48" LED strip light kit.
20200430_173925.jpg

This kit comes with the 12v cigarette plug and has a push button on/off right on the plug
20200430_173940.jpg

I then ran the cords under the cloth strap that helps hold the bag when open. Its a bit of a mess for now, Ill need to tidy up the wires later. But I then ran the cords along the existing piece that has the power wire for the locking bags and taped them down. I used the adhesive on the back of the led strip and stuck them to the inside of the bag, one on each side.
20200430_173954.jpg

I took the small rubber grommet out of each bag and put a small cut in it to get the wires thru. When the grommet was out, that is when I ran the led strip thru the hole because that was when it would fit. I just clicked the wire thru the slit I made amd reinstalled. You cant remove the grommet all the way without cutting wires. And the led strip is all one piece, no disconnects.
20200430_183034.jpg

I ran the other 2 led strips under the seat and did the same to the other side. I installed both led strips on the left bag with smaller 2 sided tape. If I ever need to remove the bags, I will need to push the left grommet out, un sticky tape the led's (which is why i used small pieces) and push the light strips thru the grommet hole. I can then remove the strips and put them all in the right bag and then take the right bag off. I did not do quick disconnects (would be a good spot to do it under the seat) ...maybe later. But here is the final product.
20200430_191338.jpg
20200430_191346.jpg
20200430_192006.jpg

It comes with a remote, can change up to 8 colors. We will see how long it lasts.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ok. So I finally got to my project. I ordered the cheapo lights off Amazon. $22. Its the 48" LED strip light kit. View attachment 587764

This kit comes with the 12v cigarette plug and has a push button on/off right on the plug View attachment 587765

I then ran the cords under the cloth strap that helps hold the bag when open. Its a bit of a mess for now, Ill need to tidy up the wires later. But I then ran the cords along the existing piece that has the power wire for the locking bags and taped them down. I used the adhesive on the back of the led strip and stuck them to the inside of the bag, one on each side. View attachment 587766

I took the small rubber grommet out of each bag and put a small cut in it to get the wires thru. When the grommet was out, that is when I ran the led strip thru the hole because that was when it would fit. I just clicked the wire thru the slit I made amd reinstalled. You cant remove the grommet all the way without cutting wires. And the led strip is all one piece, no disconnects. View attachment 587767

I ran the other 2 led strips under the seat and did the same to the other side. I installed both led strips on the left bag with smaller 2 sided tape. If I ever need to remove the bags, I will need to push the left grommet out, un sticky tape the led's (which is why i used small pieces) and push the light strips thru the grommet hole. I can then remove the strips and put them all in the right bag and then take the right bag off. I did not do quick disconnects (would be a good spot to do it under the seat) ...maybe later. But here is the final product. View attachment 587769 View attachment 587770 View attachment 587771

It comes with a remote, can change up to 8 colors. We will see how long it lasts.
That turned out really good!👍👍
Great detailed instructions on the install too.
Only time will tell on longevity.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I went to Harbor freight and got a couple of their cheap led flashlights and hung them on the bag latches.

I'll try and snap a picture of it when I get home.

·
Registered
2019 CDH
104 Posts
Great Idea, I think it would be very easy to obtain an led strip light and battery pack. Wire in a mercury type tilt switch attached to the lid that would make contact when the lid is open (vertical). Here is a switch idea.

Right side saddlebag has a 12v power port already that could be used as a power supply. Need to check the other side for possible power lead.

You may have found me a new project to work on.
Learn something new everyday. Lol. Funny this is I was wondering why there isn't a power outlet on the fairing opposite of the power button instead of a filler plug. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Learn something new everyday. Lol. Funny this is I was wondering why there isn't a power outlet on the fairing opposite of the power button instead of a filler plug. Thanks for the info.

Tim

·
Registered
2019 CDH
104 Posts

Tim
Thanks Tim. Sounds like another weekend project. Much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts