Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor / bronze
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My V.P. in our IMRG shorted out his VCM (vehicle control module). He has a 2016 Chieftain. His lights, horn, windscreen, and locks stopped working. So he installed a new VCM ($600 part only). He had the bike re-flashed and they all still don't work. Any clues what could be wrong?

·
Vendor / bronze
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The VCM box is metal and it is charged positive. So if you short against the chassis with a tool or wire it arcs and burns. Bad design in my view. It sits on top of the battery. Be careful.

·
Founding member
2,298 Posts
The case is not positive. The owner, in the referenced thread, states that the positive battery terminal was contacted. It's close proximity to the battery is the problem for multiple incidents of the module being damaged.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My V.P. in our IMRG shorted out his VCM (vehicle control module). He has a 2016 Chieftain. His lights, horn, windscreen, and locks stopped working. So he installed a new VCM ($600 part only). He had the bike re-flashed and they all still don't work. Any clues what could be wrong?
I have the same exact issue on a 2017 Cheiftan. I’m pissed. Can’t figure it out. What was the outcome? Please let me know.
Thank You

·
Vendor / bronze
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For some reason my friend had nothing but problems. I was the President and he was the V.P. We also rode together as buddies a lot. He got fed up and sold his bike. then he bought a sports car.

·
Vendor / bronze
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't remember the details. I think the dealer may have gotten some of it to work. But he also had problems with his fairing and the dealer sold his old handlebars when they installed ape hangars. My friend had already sold the old bars to a friend. He followed the oil reading procedure and ended up putting 9 quarts of oil in the bike. Which strangely enough ran normal with no leaks. So he just got fed up. They made him pay for the new VCM. My bike never had any problems. The dealership sponsored our club and I was stuck in a hard spot. I encouraged the dealership to get it right since he was V.P. etc. But I think at the time (2017) the dealer mechanics were too inexperienced.

·
KHAOS
2019 Pearl White & Star Silver Roadmaster
560 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2016 Roadmaster; it was the VCM - it controls all those things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts