Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the Bell Pit Boss helmets because of the lightweight material they're using. I've tried them on and because of the shape of my head it fits pretty good. If anyone has one or has another option for a light weight helmet I would appreciate any input.
Thanks

·
Read Only
416 Posts
I'll listen in on this one, too.

I've had full face over the years with an Arai being my last about 13 years ago. That was a very comfortable helmet but very restrictive in side vision (as most full face are with me) and a bit on the heavy side.
However, most of my riding is with a half helmet. I'm looking to include a good, lightweight, protective 3/4 or full face for me and my wife since we will be installing bluetooth headsets at some point this Summer before the trip back out to SD.

·
Bronze member
2,017 Posts
I own and use three different helmets. The Bell Pit Boss, Bell 500 Carbon RSD and a Shoei Neotec. I wear the helmet that fits my needs on the length of the ride, the weather and my destination. All three are comfortable and I wouldn't hesitate recommending any of them.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I bought a HD modular at the urging of my brothers, who wear them. I really don't like it at all due to weight, restricted vision, time consuming to put on and take off. Most of all it is very hot (I live in FL). I realize there are trade offs for superior protection. Are the premium helmets mentioned above any more comfortable in these regards. Thanks, Glenn

·
Silver member
5,443 Posts
Give Airoh helmets a look. I’m an addict. Super light (like 1200 gram light), carbon fiber, EC22.05

and if you prefer open face helmets, they have one that weighs 950 gram and is still EC22.05 approved, carbon fibre.

too bad they’re hard to find in the US.

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
I've been looking at the Bell Pit Boss helmets because of the lightweight material they're using. I've tried them on and because of the shape of my head it fits pretty good. If anyone has one or has another option for a light weight helmet I would appreciate any input.
Thanks
My wife bought a Pit Boss about 2 years ago. At first it was pretty good because of the adjustable headband. Then, one day while riding she starting having trouble with it sliding around on her head. We found the ratchet broken and no way to adjust it. Lucky us, the ratchet cover fell into her jacket collar. I fixed it while on a rest. It broke again (popped off) about three more times in the coming weeks. The last time, ratchet cover was lost on the road. She had to finish that day without a helmet. Lucky her, the next day we stopped at a HD shop having a sale. She found a HD open face for sale at 1/2 price. It is the Bell Mag-9. A much better helmet. A little heavier than the Pit Boss.

Personally, I like the LS2 -- Both the Valiant (modular) and Rebellion (half shell). The modular, Valiant, has much better ventilation than the Neotec.

·
Bronze member
2,017 Posts
I bought a HD modular at the urging of my brothers, who wear them. I really don't like it at all due to weight, restricted vision, time consuming to put on and take off. Most of all it is very hot (I live in FL). I realize there are trade offs for superior protection. Are the premium helmets mentioned above any more comfortable in these regards. Thanks, Glenn
My Shoei Neotec it the most comfortable helmet I’ve ever owned. A little warm in hot weather but with the pin lock system it is far and away the best touring helmet.

·
Rider
1,152 Posts
I ran bells, shoei, nolan.
I really liked the nolan halfy
It had the micro latch strap and liked it so much we went with the LS2 bagger.
This helmet is light, fits me well, has the micro latch setup.
A really nice 80 buck helmet.
We did try the pit boss and it fit pretty well but wasnt too keen on that dial a size in the rear of helmet
Pure junk.
The LS2 is a intermediate round shape.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I currently use a Shoei J-Cruise as my main helmet. The only drawback is that, with the clear faceshield in the summertime, it gets a little hot. However, I was able to purchase a tinted shield from E-Bay which solved about 90% of the problem.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I really like the new Bell Eliminator retro looking helmet. So much so I've got two, one with the tinted faceshield and a second without but a visor. Great full face helmet with room for comms and lightweight.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks
AFX-fx70. AFX makes a full line of helmets and the FX 70 is a half helmet slightly over 2 pounds. I have the pit boss and it fits great especially with the adjustable headband but I actually like the FX helmet slightly better as it seems a bit cooler in the summer and it uses the old school three snap system so that I could add a longer Sunpeak or a face shield in case it rains.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I currently have a Bell carbon fiber 3/4 with snap on face shield. It is the most comfortable helment I've ever had. Wind noise really bothers me, so I like my ears covered. I'm seriously considering one of the Bell full face carbon fiber models. Only because this Bell fits my big head so well. For many years I wore half helments and I never had any that I liked. Mostly bought from HD dealers. Having my face covered is very comfortable for me. I've never had com's in a helmet and would like to hear more about it. How is it mounted? Is it battery operated? Does it work well?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
AGV is super light! Even their modular.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just purchased the AGV Sportmodular Carbon. I can't wait to see how it performs. I know that it is going to be quite a bit lighter than my current Scorpion EXO-500.

·
Registered
303 Posts
AGV is super light! Even their modular.
That's one I have. The AGV Sportmodular all carbon fiber. Also have a Nolan N87 full face. A Bell half helmet etc And one of those Outlaw "carbon" small helmets that are supposedly D.O.T which is absurd. And ride without one often. All depends on the circumstance.

·
Rider
937 Posts
My wife and I both have the bell pitboss and we love them. They really are the first helmets we have consistently worm because they are comfortable and lightweight. We both wear them in both cold (35 degrees) and hot weather. If it's cold zip on the neck curtain. If it's hot zip it off. We also have cardo com units on the helmets and they work perfectly. We don't even use the wratchet system and we do not experience any shifting or movement of the helmet at all. Not that we don't like the wratchet system or that we had trouble with it we just simply dont need them so why leave them on. Excellent helmet IMO. I highly recommend.

·
Bronze member
2,002 Posts
My wife and I both have the bell pitboss and we love them.
I got one last year, my first and only half helmet.
Definitely great on a hot, humid day! I just make sure to have sunscreen on my face to prevent sunburn.

My head size is borderline medium/large, 58 cm, so I was going to get a medium but felt far too tight. The large has been perfectly fine thanks to the ratcheting headband adjuster.

My only complaint about my Pit Boss is the D ring pulltab. The material frayed within months So I removed that and put a strip of leather on instead.
I think the fault is with the D rings not the tab material, they aren’t rounded like most helmets, they are flat with sharp edges.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mr. Wind Horse ,do you use the Cardo bold units? I`m going to be putting comms in my Pit Boss soon.Thank you in advance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts