Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a 585 cam swap. CraigB has been helping as I was having issues with the bike not running, only firing on 1 cylinder. I check everything electrical Craig suggested but everything except plug wires seemed fine. Finally decided to put the stock cams in to see if the bike would start. Its then I noticed the intake roller lifter to the back cylinder was stuck and won't come down on the cam. Have no idea how this had happened. I used Lloyds cam tool and as I recall all rollers were on the cams after the 585 swap.

Big question, is there a way to get it to drop without pulling the valve cover? What might of caused this?

·
Registered
138 Posts
The lifter has obviously stuck for a reason and I would be keen to see why. I would advise rocker cover removal and inspection carried out
You may get it down without doing any of that but you wont be able to inspect the full lifter so would never be able to guarantee it would stick again and potentially doing damage

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm sure its something I did and did not know I did it. I think at this point I'll just bite the bullet and put it back together and trailer it to the dealer.

·
Registered
527 Posts
My bet is that the lifter originally dropped enough to have the push rod fall of the rocker not letting the lifter drop, and also not letting the valve open causing it to run on one cylinder.

If so I'm going to vegas

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never thought of that but that's a good bet. Its going to the dealer Thursday.

Its kind of embarrassing because while I'm not a certified mechanic I have overhauled engines and done most of my repairs on my own vehicles. The 2 videos of this cam swap seems like its about one of the easiest things the do it yourselfer can do.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mannnnnnnnn just be glad that lifter didn’t drop into the case. Else, you’d split it. Take that cylinder apart and put them bad boys back in place. You’ll need all new gaskets and o-rings for the push rod tubes. Make sure to lube the o-rings or they will roll. PM me if you have any questions it’s very simple really.

·
Bronze member
2,154 Posts
I never thought of that but that's a good bet. Its going to the dealer Thursday.

Its kind of embarrassing because while I'm not a certified mechanic I have overhauled engines and done most of my repairs on my own vehicles. The 2 videos of this cam swap seems like its about one of the easiest things the do it yourselfer can do.
Did you use/follow the factory manual on the procedure?

I looked it over a while back and thought it was extremely thorough.

But if you can follow it and still get stuck then I am probably going to remain a happy camper with the stock cams.

For me, right now my bike runs like a top.

WD./

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, followed the manual and the mechanic for the indian dealership on utoob.

Going to dealer tomorrow. They told me end of May before they could get to it and then they asked what it was. When I told them the service writer said hey we have 2 great Indian mechanics bring it in and we'll get one of them to work on it pretty quick.

I won't speak for all of us men and some women but I think its in our nature to tinker and make things faster. Not that I have any inclination to do that but to say I have it is more of the reason. When I saw the 116 come out and the wife said "no way" on getting a new one, I didn't want to spend the money on the 116 upgrade I figured those cams would be the way to go. Still bet I don't spend half what I spent for the cams, tool etc.

·
Bronze member
1,586 Posts
Yup, followed the manual and the mechanic for the indian dealership on utoob.

Going to dealer tomorrow. They told me end of May before they could get to it and then they asked what it was. When I told them the service writer said hey we have 2 great Indian mechanics bring it in and we'll get one of them to work on it pretty quick.

I won't speak for all of us men and some women but I think its in our nature to tinker and make things faster. Not that I have any inclination to do that but to say I have it is more of the reason. When I saw the 116 come out and the wife said "no way" on getting a new one, I didn't want to spend the money on the 116 upgrade I figured those cams would be the way to go. Still bet I don't spend half what I spent for the cams, tool etc.
END of May??

·
Silver member
4,247 Posts
My bet is that the lifter originally dropped enough to have the push rod fall of the rocker not letting the lifter drop, and also not letting the valve open causing it to run on one cylinder.

If so I'm going to vegas

You could be correct on this. But I would think the lifter would fall down on to the cam, there is nothing holding it to the pushrod.

Steve, when you went to take out the 585 cams, you have to rotate the intake cam counter-clockwise to get the Lloyd'z tool on. Did you feel resistance from the rear intake valve when you did this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, Lloyds went on without any resistance. I noticed there wasn't any resistance other than the front jug intake lifterwhen I went to rotate the cam so the tool would fit flush.

Axxehead, they said they'd get on it pretty quick, that after I told them what the problem was and brand of bike. This dealer sells and services a lot of different brand of bikes and my guess is their Indian mechanics aren't quite as busy as the one who work on the Japanese bike, watersports equip and whatnot they work on.

·
Registered
527 Posts
What's the word on this, were they able to get to it yet?
This one has my curiosity peaked

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope, dropped it off Thursday evening and told them to let me know when they know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dealer called today. Said a lifter had dropped. Now when I hear that I'm thinking parts falling out on top of the gear case, apparently not so. They said I could come in for a look so I did. Mechanic pointed out the exhaust lifter push rod on the rear cylinder had dropped out of the rocker arm cup enough that it caused it not operate, the cam was already out when I got there and push rod too. I said what about the intake and told him the lifter was stuck on that cylinder also. I told him to stick his finger in there and he could feel the roller up there off the cam. He did and said the same thing occurred and that the push rod must of lodged itself so as the lifter would not drop.

There you have it folks, I basically screwed up. I do know for a fact all rollers were on the cams when I put it back together so it must be one of those unseen things. Anyway out a grand and probably more once they get the engine out and looked over. Live and learn.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Dealer called today. Said a lifter had dropped. Now when I hear that I'm thinking parts falling out on top of the gear case, apparently not so. They said I could come in for a look so I did. Mechanic pointed out the exhaust lifter push rod on the rear cylinder had dropped out of the rocker arm cup enough that it caused it not operate, the cam was already out when I got there and push rod too. I said what about the intake and told him the lifter was stuck on that cylinder also. I told him to stick his finger in there and he could feel the roller up there off the cam. He did and said the same thing occurred and that the push rod must of lodged itself so as the lifter would not drop.

There you have it folks, I basically screwed up. I do know for a fact all rollers were on the cams when I put it back together so it must be one of those unseen things. Anyway out a grand and probably more once they get the engine out and looked over. Live and learn.
What do I win?

If I could only do repairs over the web!

·
Bronze member
1,700 Posts

sorry for your woes. i have done two cam changes on my hd's in the past and thought about renting the tool for my indian, but i will pay my dealer 2.5 hrs. labor, as the process with our scoots, while straightforward, is nail biting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What do I win?

If I could only do repairs over the web!

I can buy you a beer or two if you ever roll through St. Louis or I could back your first hand of poker in Vegas. The first is the most likely to occur.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I can buy you a beer or two if you ever roll through St. Louis or I could back your first hand of poker in Vegas. The first is the most likely to occur.
Lol
Thanks, appreciate it but not necessary.
If you ever make it top the atl, look me up .
Glad it's resolved for you, hope your dealer has as good tech to fix that correctly with no future problems

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Use to go to ATL couple times a year. Had a buddy who use to live in Gwinnett County.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts