Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live in on the "left coast", and despite all of the the hot air that blows out of our politicians, we still have a moist, fog heavy environment. I don't have the luxury of a garage to store my bike in - I ride my Chieftain almost every day - I bought her to ride, and not to keep polished in a garage. I use custom covers to keep her as clean as possible, but the moist bay area air always seems to permeate in every possible way.

I find myself with surface blemishes on the chrome, of which I have a minimal amount - I have just about every blacked out accessory that is made. The surface blemishes can be a pain to try to polish off. In the past I've used "wadding cloth" that is available from Eagle One, and it worked well. It usually left a residue that I'd have to wipe off afterward.

I ran out of the wadding cloth, and forgot to buy more. Fast forward to the other day: I chose to do a deep cleaning on my bike, taking the saddle bags off, and trying to get in every nook and cranny to clean. When I got to the chrome I remembered that I was out of said cloth. Danggit! So I looked through my cleaning supplies, and found a "Mr. Clean Magic Erasure". What the heck .... I'll give it a try.

Whoa .... what a breeze. With minimal effort it polished the chrome on the crash bars, handlebars, and hand control surfaces. It was truly easy .... and left no residue to clean afterward.

I'd recommend this to anyone trying to clean their chrome ... it really worked well for me.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
chieftain510 , the other thing you could use and it works on all paint and chrome is WD40 ,but no so goos o your rubber grips lol. It wont hurt you paint or chrome and in fact if you live closer to the beach you will find it works well. I don't have the luxury of garage as my single garage is taken up with my car and my better half's mobility scooter.I cover my bike every day . If you Gove the bike a good covering of WD40 and by good I mean light it will work asa anti corrosion method and wipe it over you will be amazed how clean the bike will stay and less issues with cleaning .Then at least once a month wish it with warm hi grade car wash that is PH neutral so no spots on your paint ,dry it off and lightly spray the WD40 again . Cheers and good luck.

·
Silver member
3,869 Posts
Good to know. I live on the right left coast...same type shit fer brains politicians, but no salt air. On a couple of older rides I've polished blemished chrome with rubbing compound, same stuff used to rub out/rejuvinate paint. It's worked much better than conventional chrome polish.

·
Founding member / aka Husky Davidson. 10/09/14
1,726 Posts
I lived in the same area, and my chrome plated handlebars rusted from the inside..
I found out when I hit a hard bump and one side broke off at the lower bend..
I was holding the throttle independent from the bike.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
5271A06A-6700-49E2-8919-4E645ADFD327.jpeg
24F49521-6621-4FCB-9C83-2472899A453F.png
I use to live on the right coast but Midwest nowadays. For protection of chrome I’ve used this for many years now. Once in the winter before I put it away and again in the spring when I bring it out. Protects unbelievably. Here’s my 04 with 160,000 on her the chrome is still in great shape. This stuff holds up like nothing I’ve ever used on chrome. That pics 2 weeks old just something you may want to try.

·
Founding member
1,092 Posts
WD 40 is magic! And it smells good.

I ride along the ocean often. I spray bolt heads to prevent rust. Works great.

·
Silver member
2,908 Posts
chieftain510 , the other thing you could use and it works on all paint and chrome is WD40 ,but no so goos o your rubber grips lol. It wont hurt you paint or chrome and in fact if you live closer to the beach you will find it works well. I don't have the luxury of garage as my single garage is taken up with my car and my better half's mobility scooter.I cover my bike every day . If you Gove the bike a good covering of WD40 and by good I mean light it will work asa anti corrosion method and wipe it over you will be amazed how clean the bike will stay and less issues with cleaning .Then at least once a month wish it with warm hi grade car wash that is PH neutral so no spots on your paint ,dry it off and lightly spray the WD40 again . Cheers and good luck.
I agree.

The WD on WD-40 actually stands for Water Displacement. It was batch number 40 that finally worked the way they wanted it to.

·
Bronze member
1,393 Posts
Just another thought... I have been using 0000 Steel Wool on chrome for years. And have added WD40 when necessary as well. Best chrome cleaner and polish I have ever used. A LOT less work as well.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
WD 40 is magic! And it smells good.

I ride along the ocean often. I spray bolt heads to prevent rust. Works great.
I have replaced my coffee with WD40 lol just don't use sugar any longer and I seem to walk without any squeaks now lol.:cool::rolleyes:

·
Founding member / aka Husky Davidson. 10/09/14
1,726 Posts
The only time I’ve had to use steel wool on chrome, is when it was light weight chrome. Like a bicycle.
Or my old 1974 BMW.. which had light weight chrome...
My current bike has Stainless steel Handle bars.
No rust, no brakie.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
So I live in on the "left coast", and despite all of the the hot air that blows out of our politicians, we still have a moist, fog heavy environment. I don't have the luxury of a garage to store my bike in - I ride my Chieftain almost every day - I bought her to ride, and not to keep polished in a garage. I use custom covers to keep her as clean as possible, but the moist bay area air always seems to permeate in every possible way.

I find myself with surface blemishes on the chrome, of which I have a minimal amount - I have just about every blacked out accessory that is made. The surface blemishes can be a pain to try to polish off. In the past I've used "wadding cloth" that is available from Eagle One, and it worked well. It usually left a residue that I'd have to wipe off afterward.

I ran out of the wadding cloth, and forgot to buy more. Fast forward to the other day: I chose to do a deep cleaning on my bike, taking the saddle bags off, and trying to get in every nook and cranny to clean. When I got to the chrome I remembered that I was out of said cloth. Danggit! So I looked through my cleaning supplies, and found a "Mr. Clean Magic Erasure". What the heck .... I'll give it a try.

Whoa .... what a breeze. With minimal effort it polished the chrome on the crash bars, handlebars, and hand control surfaces. It was truly easy .... and left no residue to clean afterward.

I'd recommend this to anyone trying to clean their chrome ... it really worked well for me.
Those things are awesome.

·
Bronze member
4,720 Posts
I have replaced my coffee with WD40 lol just don't use sugar any longer and I seem to walk without any squeaks now lol.:cool::rolleyes:
You need to spray some in your ears and get your hearing back. We can all hear the squeaks as you get on/off the bike. :)

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
I ran into this thread just in time. Got a lot of water (mineral) spotting on my bike's chrome from having it parked near an RV park grassy area where the sprinklers ran at night. I'll give the WD-40 a try tonight...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wadded up tin foil and WD40 for chrome. You would ve surprised what you can make shine again like that.

Also, MR Clean Magic Eraser makes cleaning your white walls a breeze. I highly recommend it for cleaning your white wall tires.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I lived in the same area, and my chrome plated handlebars rusted from the inside..
I found out when I hit a hard bump and one side broke off at the lower bend..
I was holding the throttle independent from the bike.
You should get a handle on it lol. I hope you never crashed and hurt your self when that happen.

·
Silver member
3,869 Posts
I ran into this thread just in time. Got a lot of water (mineral) spotting on my bike's chrome from having it parked near an RV park grassy area where the sprinklers ran at night. I'll give the WD-40 a try tonight...
I'd try a cleaner/polish before messing with WD40. McGuires or similar should remove the water spots, no muss no fuss, quick and easy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts