Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Chieftain and was wonder has anyone replaced the license plate frame. I would love any in site on how and what you did.

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
I have a 2014 Chieftain and was wonder has anyone replaced the license plate frame. I would love any in site on how and what you did.
I assume you are speaking of the frame that the license plate mounts to, not something that "frames" the license plate?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I assume you are speaking of the frame that the license plate mounts to, not something that "frames" the license plate?

I am speaking of the frame. But I would love to replace the mount. Do you have in site on that?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I bought one of the Aeromach frames also to get rid of the fender foam and reflectors, it does make it a lot cleaner looking.

The install is quite easy if you have some wrenching skills:

First you need to take the tail light assembly off of the bike (3 bolts) inside the fender. Have a helper there to hold it up while you cut the zip ties and take the electrical connectors apart. The wires are marked on one side but I tagged them all just to make sure.

With the assembly off the bike you can get to the (2) bolts that hold the frame to the tail light and then just change them out. I put 2 new zip ties on the loop of the new frame prior to reassembly which made it easier when re connecting your wires and zip tie them back down.

While you have your tail light off you can warm up the foam on the fender and take it off then clean up the residue adhesive with wd-40 or goo be gone. I also took the time to clean the dust and wax the paint under the tail light when I had it off.

When your wires are reconnected, you have to bunch up the wires and zip tie the bundle back down in the tail light cavity. Make sure your tail light gasket is properly in place and reinstall the asm back on your fender loosely. You want to make sure all your lights work properly before you tighten the tail light back down and torque the bolts.

If you want to put the OE side reflectors back on the new bracket, you need to drill out the rivets that hold them on the OE bracket and then get fasteners to screw them to the Aeromach bracket as they have holes to do this.

Aeromach does include instructions but their not in too much detail.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought one of the Aeromach frames also to get rid of the fender foam and reflectors, it does make it a lot cleaner looking.

The install is quite easy if you have some wrenching skills:

First you need to take the tail light assembly off of the bike (3 bolts) inside the fender. Have a helper there to hold it up while you cut the zip ties and take the electrical connectors apart. The wires are marked on one side but I tagged them all just to make sure.

With the assembly off the bike you can get to the (2) bolts that hold the frame to the tail light and then just change them out. I put 2 new zip ties on the loop of the new frame prior to reassembly which made it easier when re connecting your wires and zip tie them back down.

While you have your tail light off you can warm up the foam on the fender and take it off then clean up the residue adhesive with wd-40 or goo be gone. I also took the time to clean the dust and wax the paint under the tail light when I had it off.

When your wires are reconnected, you have to bunch up the wires and zip tie the bundle back down in the tail light cavity. Make sure your tail light gasket is properly in place and reinstall the asm back on your fender loosely. You want to make sure all your lights work properly before you tighten the tail light back down and torque the bolts.

If you want to put the OE side reflectors back on the new bracket, you need to drill out the rivets that hold them on the OE bracket and then get fasteners to screw them to the Aeromach bracket as they have holes to do this.

Aeromach does include instructions but their not in too much detail.
Sweet!!! Thanks for the detailed response!

·
Registered
303 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts