Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great minds! I've gotten a lot of compliments on them so far.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used the amber reflectors for license plates that come with the wing nuts to mount them on.

First, I cleaned up the penny and shined it up with metal polish and a felt dremel tip. Then I took acrylic and pooled it up on the face of the penny and let that set up good. Then I superglued the penny to the reflector and let that set up completely. Then I put the reflector in a jig an mixed more acrylic and put it on the penny face and let it run down the sides of the reflector and drip off the back side. Once it sets, you can grind off the excess acrylic from the back.

I got the acrylic at a hobby store. It is the kind that has two parts you mix equally. I'll try to edit this later and add a picture of the reflector for reference.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! I thought it would make a nice touch!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Very nice!

·
Founding Member
429 Posts
Thanks for the inspiration. I took a red reflector and broke off the red lens, then used JB weld to mount the Indian Head penny on the remaining plastic. I found a product called Magic Gloss and after polishing up my penny coated it and the remaining plastic with the Magic Gloss. That stuff cures via UV light so to get it to set I kept it under a black light over night. The next day I repeated the process and by day 3 it was done. After mounting them on the license plate the sun finished the curing. I only mounted two at the top of the license plate. I used security bolts on the lower part to keep the license plate from wandering off. I post a photo tomorrow after the sun comes up. Indian License.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
So I made me a couple of license plates bolts. These are 114 years old. View attachment 392 Let me know what you think.
Any chance of diecasting the penny front (no forgery here) to make additional pieces? Not everyone can afford the good penny.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I call BS!! There are several 1901 pennies on ebay for less than $20. Someone that can afford a $20k+ motorcycle can find $20.
$20k+ now you know why I'am broke.

·
Founding Member
429 Posts
I spent a total of $25 for two very fine grade 1901 pennies at a local coin shop. They should be plentiful for anyone to find some in any coin shop.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I didn't like the unfinished look of the rider backrest, here is another good spot for the 1901 pennies The holes left for the luggage rack .I tried to add to the post but.... I'm guessing you have to upload your pics then link them to message?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts