Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My left toggle stopped working on my 2018 Chief Darkhorse so I took off the switch housing only to find that one of the screw-holes is all busted out. Just wondering if anyone has a spare one kicking around or has had a similar problem and fixed it somehow. My rear-end is getting sore just thinking about paying $70 for to replace this cheap piece of black plastic -- PN 5454138-463.

I'd feel much better replacing it with something metal so if anyone knows where a guy could find something like that, that would be good too.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Bronze member
2,098 Posts
The plastic control housings were a real step backwards for Indian. They look and feel cheap and apparently they are less than durable.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
Guys, it's a Darkhorse. The base model in Indian's line up. Anyone with a T111 other than a Darkhorse... The controls are going to be metal. Unless with newer model's, they switched to plastic as well? It's been a while since I've been to the shop.

If you don't want to buy a new replacement. I would look into epoxying a nut in there for the screw to thread into.

If you want a metal version. I can only think that your best bet would be to buy one from an upgraded model of the same year and powder coat them black. But then you're spending way more money.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
That should be an easy repair. It's only the locating hole and not the screw thread part. Glue the tube back in place and build it up with some epoxy. If it broke away it might mean that it was a touch too short and the screw pulled it in to make contact.

Because it's not easily visible I'd also consider adding a trim washer and hitting it with some black paint.

·
Bronze member
2,702 Posts
The plastic control housings were a real step backwards for Indian. They look and feel cheap and apparently they are less than durable.
I agree. Not a good move. IM moved to plastic control housings in 17 or 18 for all the 111/116 models. Not sure about the other models.

·
Bronze member
4,281 Posts
Guys, it's a Darkhorse. The base model in Indian's line up. Anyone with a T111 other than a Darkhorse... The controls are going to be metal. Unless with newer model's, they switched to plastic as well? It's been a while since I've been to the shop.

If you don't want to buy a new replacement. I would look into epoxying a nut in there for the screw to thread into.

If you want a metal version. I can only think that your best bet would be to buy one from an upgraded model of the same year and powder coat them black. But then you're spending way more money.

Indian switched all bikes to plastic in 2018, even the Elites have the plastic housings. They figured metric bikes have been doing it for years so why not.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That should be an easy repair. It's only the locating hole and not the screw thread part. Glue the tube back in place and build it up with some epoxy. If it broke away it might mean that it was a touch too short and the screw pulled it in to make contact.

Because it's not easily visible I'd also consider adding a trim washer and hitting it with some black paint.

View attachment 578034
I like that! Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts