Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody come up with a way to keep this heavy ol' machine level while checking the oil? Dealer told me its a two person job, but I ain't got two persons.

·
Early joiner
157 Posts
I usualy check mine after a ride when it is warmed up. Shut it down, put it on kickstand and loosen the dipstick with the the tool just enough so you can remove it with your fingers. Then grab a shoptowel get back on the bike level it and run it for a minute or so to equalize oil level. Shut it off use the rag in your left hand to remove the dipstick clean it off and reinstall fingertight then remove again to check level.

·
Founding Member
429 Posts
Wheel Dock make a unit for the new Indians for under $300 with shipping to your address. I have one for each of my bikes to save garage parking space and help in daily checks and maintenance. They are well built here in American and are a great product. IMG_0564.JPG IMG_0640.JPG IMG_0827.jpg

Attachments

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,041 Posts
I usually put a chunk of 2x4 under the kickstand. Low-tech, but it works.
--- Randall

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I usually put a chunk of 2x4 under the kickstand. Low-tech, but it works.
--- Randall
I agree with Randall. I have carried an old 3" piece of 2x4 in my saddle bags for a long time. It may be low tech....but it works and is not something someone wants to steal if I forget it under the stand.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see little tubes running down the underside of the bike, and no frame members. Wouldn't it difficult to place a lift jack under there with out bending something that shouldn't be bent?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,041 Posts
Don't crush the tubes. A block of wood a little narrower than the width of the crankcase on top of the low scissors jack lift pad would prevent that if it looks like the tubes would be damaged ( I'm too lazy to walk out to the barn to double-check the tube location right now). Again, low tech but I've got one of those jacks at school along with an assortment of blocks for different things.
--- Randall

·
Founding Member
429 Posts
When I use my jack to lift the Indian I make sure to use four hard rubber furniture cups to clear the ABS brake lines on the right side of the crankcase and the clutch cable on the left underside of the crankcase.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My dealer suggested I learn where the full oil mark is when the bike is on its stand and not worry with standing the bike up. I haven't tried this yet but it is a possibility.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
My dealer suggested I learn where the full oil mark is when the bike is on its stand and not worry with standing the bike up. I haven't tried this yet but it is a possibility.
Been doing that on my Vic XC almost from day 1 and works fine .. Level on my Vic shows about 1/2 between the lower tip and the add mark when pn the stand and all is okay ..

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I just have Shorty hold the bike up while I check the oil level. Works for me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts