Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My friend in S.C. ran across this after his Step Grandfather passed away last week. He was beginning the clean out when he ran across it.
He had to contact his blood family for details, which were few because his married family didn't even know he had it! Sneaky old coot!
So, I bring it here for discussion.

Go!

·
Bronze member
2,228 Posts
Sucker had to be loud, nice

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like a 45" flattie. might be a K model, not sure about the engine. cool bike. hand shift and everything :cool:
Ya, I cannot figure out what it is. According to the family they believe it to be a 49 Indian. But I'm not sure on that. That motor is nothing I've yet seen..
Which is a big factor in why I'm posting.

·
Bronze member
1,300 Posts
Ya, I cannot figure out what it is. According to the family they believe it to be a 49 Indian. But I'm not sure on that. That motor is nothing I've yet seen..
Which is a big factor in why I'm posting.

Forward these pictures to Wheels Through Time museum. I’m sure Dale will put this right.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doing some digging, I'm pretty certain it's a HD engine. As one poster mentioned, it looks as though it's a K Series. Albeit heavily modified.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
That's a 45 cubic inch flathead bottom end with a K model top end grafted on. Looks to be in a fairly stock 45 frame. Early hot rod modification. Not easy for sure, required welding and machining the case to move studs, along with a few other mods to make it all work together. The more common mod came in later years, when Ironhead top ends were installed on 45 lowers. Still a lot of work but more power potential due to better air flow with overhead valves. People qualified to work on that are few and far between these days. Dale Walksler at Wheels Through Time is one of them for sure.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a 45 cubic inch flathead bottom end with a K model top end grafted on. Looks to be in a fairly stock 45 frame. Early hot rod modification. Not easy for sure, required welding and machining the case to move studs, along with a few other mods to make it all work together. The more common mod came in later years, when Ironhead top ends were installed on 45 lowers. Still a lot of work but more power potential due to better air flow with overhead valves. People qualified to work on that are few and far between these days. Dale Walksler at Wheels Through Time is one of them for sure.
Excellent contribution! Thanks whiz!

·
Rider
1,331 Posts
Looks similar to this restored version I see at local bike meets on occasion, although the cylinder heads are different slightly, much of the rest looks the same. There are not many bikes that I feel the urge to photograph but this one was too good to miss.

·
Registered
61 Posts
View attachment 589274 View attachment 589275
My friend in S.C. ran across this after his Step Grandfather passed away last week. He was beginning the clean out when he ran across it.
He had to contact his blood family for details, which were few because his married family didn't even know he had it! Sneaky old coot!

Go!
I think it needs a new rear tire:LOL::LOL:

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
View attachment 589274 View attachment 589275

Go!
It looks like a 1950 Harley Davidson 45ci. WL Flathead.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Check out the goggles. That thing was probably on the road in the past 20 years. Pretty awesome find.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts