Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
NOTE FROM HINK: combined the three known threads into this one. It’s the oldest so by system default it wins. Future ones on this topic go here as well.

—————————————-

Cycle World: Indian Planning New Water-Cooled Cruiser.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Drag me down and let me burn forever!
2016 Chief DH Stage II
773 Posts
you have my attention

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
I've owned four water cooled machines,three Ventures,an 83,a 93,and a 99,all V4's and all shaft driven,a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1600 twin,belt driven,plus wifeys' Honda 500 Silver Wing Interstate, also water cooled and shaft driven,and all were excellent machines,that is,until ya had to do maintenance on em cause the radiators always seemed to be in the way,plus,when those fans came on in traffic,anyone with in ten feet of ya had to move away from ya because the heat that came out of those machnes was pretty intense,not to mention,toasted your balls when in traffic,lol ,and IMO, even more so then a conventional air cooled V twin.And THEN,ya have the added maintenance that's needed to be done to these water cooled machines,plus,it always seemed that the radiators were always in the way no matter what repairs and or manitenance you were performing.And guess who did ALL the maintenance.lol So,I guess what I'm saying is,I'm not really sold on the water cooled motorcycles.I mean,they do have advantages,no question about it,but they also have disadvantages,which will cost you dearly if someone else,other then yourself,does the maintenance work! But then again,each to his or her,own.Fuss Budget,Dave!!! lol lol

·
Administrator
15,985 Posts
Combined the three threads (that I could find). Oldest one wins. There’s another one that asks about putting the PP108 in other models, and it includes the article from Cycle World. It is also older than these three but seems directed specifically to a different question so I let it stand alone. Subsequent threads on this topic will be folded in here.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,242 Posts
I just don't see them going back to a tubular steel frame as all the Victory Vegas based bikes had. I might be wrong but not very likely in my humble opinion. I think Indian wants to stick with the cast aluminum modular frames.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Not sure if this is true, but one of the stories said this was a drawing submitted in 2017. Anyone else see that, could this have been the Challenger in early stages?

Also, I’m with Reinie, can’t see them going back to steel frame cruisers that were stagnant for years.

·
Bronze member
2,661 Posts
My thoughts...IM will slowly move away from air cooled engines. Offer the PP108 and the 116 in Chieftains and RMs and see what the sales figures look like at the end of the year. I’d speculate the 108 would greatly out sell the 116.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just don't see them going back to a tubular steel frame as all the Victory Vegas based bikes had. I might be wrong but not very likely in my humble opinion. I think Indian wants to stick with the cast aluminum modular frames.
The article is about a potential newly designed old school style tourer with an alloy frame.

I doubt they’ll be dusting off the steel frame Vic blueprints. But IMO, the side view drawing does resemble the Vic cross bikes (which are aluminum-frame).

But.. it did use the word cruiser once, so it got me thinking about a new cruiser design with a nod to the Vic Gunner. Lots of people clamoring for a mid-size cruiser, so something like that with the challenger’s titanium scheme, 108 and aluminum frame (at, lets say, an 18k price point) is just an insanely fun thing to think about ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts