Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Let's get a little dangerous....Cars always wanting to race me

2960 77
I'm just curious? How fast is the limit that y'all are pushing the thunderstroke 111 or 116? Can the bike go comfortably over 100 mph with stability?

I'm just curious because as soon as I got this cruiser seems like cars want to mess with motorcycles. I'm coming from sport bikes and usually I would dust a disrespectful cager.

Now I'm feeling like I'm no competition anymore on the chief. I mean the bike is stable at high speeds but I'm just curious how hard and fast y'all push it when challenged?
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
You guys are great lol I'm glad y'all understand we like to twist that throttle avit more than usual. At the end of the day I agree I'm not going to let the competition or ego get to me. I'll always be safe, I just was curious how fast the thunderstroke can go while maintaining stability
I've had my bike a constant 130 multiple times but it was returned it still governed at 130 still had more but comp wouldn't go . The bike rides stable at that speed .no wobbles .

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm just curious? How fast is the limit that y'all are pushing the thunderstroke 111 or 116? Can the bike go comfortably over 100 mph with stability?

I'm just curious because as soon as I got this cruiser seems like cars want to mess with motorcycles. I'm coming from sport bikes and usually I would dust a disrespectful cager.

Now I'm feeling like I'm no competition anymore on the chief. I mean the bike is stable at higah speedsaero but I'm just curious how hard and fast y'all push it when challenged?
I find that the Indian is such a good looking machine, many cars will pace you, studying your bike. Anyway, a cruiser is not the bike to race anyone with due to reduced ground clearance and poor (typically) aerodynamics. Most cars today can go well over 100 mph+ due to superior aerodynamics and their six, eight and even 10 speed trannies. As to how fast your engine can push your bike, probably fast enough to be taken to the local jail in handcuffs. Have fun and ride safely. Ignore the idiots - if you can.

·
Silver member
4,069 Posts
I’m a bit surprised to see so many members here opposed to speed on a bike. Most all my bikes get to 100 mph very quickly so it’s no big deal. I’v got two bikes that will pass 140 and I’ll say that’s plenty for me and I don’t need to go any faster than that. Had a convertible car to 165 and the wind noise was awesome, like a jet engine, but the car was stable. The max speed on that car as 200+ so it still was very stable.

·
Registered
RM2018 RM2020
53 Posts
But of our RM make 110+ m/h with no stability problem however we are only cruising 99% of the time. but nice to have the power if you need to overtake on of our Australian Road-trains. Trust me they are call road-trains for a reason.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My 15 vintage,at 100 mph is like pulling teeth to go faster,but it has a lot more rpm to go.
So it creeps very slowly to about 110,and that's about it.
I think the fly by wire closes the throtle at about 100 allowing a little more before limiting the speed.
Yet very stable,actually I've ran at 100 for a mile or two going through south dakota.
Now a vic hammer,it will run faster than you are willing to go lol.
I suspect exponential drag increase against the windshield may have something to do with it. Have you tried warp drive?

·
Registered
427 Posts
You guys are great lol I'm glad y'all understand we like to twist that throttle avit more than usual. At the end of the day I agree I'm not going to let the competition or ego get to me. I'll always be safe, I just was curious how fast the thunderstroke can go while maintaining stability
Don't care too much about speed but love the exhilarating acceleration.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I find that the Indian is such a good looking machine, many cars will pace you, studying your bike. Anyway, a cruiser is not the bike to race anyone with due to reduced ground clearance and poor (typically) aerodynamics. Most cars today can go well over 100 mph+ due to superior aerodynamics and their six, eight and even 10 speed trannies. As to how fast your engine can push your bike, probably fast enough to be taken to the local jail in handcuffs. Have fun and ride safely. Ignore the idiots - if you can.
We have a 2022 Hyundai Palisade which is a friggin' great car. But 65 mph is at the 9:00 position on the speedo and it goes to 160. Makes me chuckle. Never gonna happen...8-speed tranny or not, just ain't gonna happen.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
We have a 2022 Hyundai Palisade which is a friggin' great car. But 65 mph is at the 9:00 position on the speedo and it goes to 160. Makes me chuckle. Never gonna happen...8-speed tranny or not, just ain't gonna happen.
132 is the top speed of a palisade. 160 isn’t really unreasonable to have on the dial.

Edit: those things are awesome. Great pick.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Absolutely love it. But would prefer normal cruising speed to be around 12 - 1 o'clock on the dial, not 9 o'clock. And don't get me started on the backward swinging tach! 132 ain't bad. I may have to verify that...just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Absolutely love it. But would prefer normal cruising speed to be around 12 - 1 o'clock on the dial, not 9 o'clock. And don't get me started on the backward swinging tach! 132 ain't bad. I may have to verify that...just out of curiosity.
Hah! I’d be interested too. My wife wants one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was coming through the curvy mountain road of Hwy 50 in Colorado when 3 guys on baggers came up behind me. These guys were in full hi-vis gear and had these white/yellow extraneous flashers going - I thought they were cops at first. (I didn't catch what make of bikes they were on but two were all yellow including the hard bags if that rings a bell) They obviously wanted to pass by and I scooted over while they passed. They were really getting after it.... leaning into the corners, etc. After they passed, I tried to keep up on my 2021 Scout but abandoned that idea after about 5 seconds. They left me in the dust. No way I was going to push it on a strange, curvy mountain road.

Further up ahead, there was road construction. The road was all chopped up but there were tire tracks you could drive in. Orange cones everywhere, a sign that said "Motorcyclists: use extreme caution". 25 mph speed limit sign. I came up behind some motorcycles - it was the bagger boyz again. And they were struggling mightily - having trouble traversing the grated up road. I was having no problem on my Scout. They were going 10-15 mph and traffic was starting to back up behind us. I moved to pass them and the tail guy sped up to block me out which wasn't very nice. However, the two guys in front got in his lane which allowed me to pass by, which I did. It was my turn to leave them in the dust. "Who's the hooligan, now, b***hes?" Haha!

I dunno, perhaps there's something I don't get about baggers but I found it amusing that these guys went from absolute daredevils to complete wimps(?) in an eyeblink.

File this one under low speed "racing".

61 - 78 of 78 Posts