Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Bronze member
4,043 Posts
The fastest my SDH has ever been is 85mph,and that was only on one occassion,and only for a few seconds so as to over take a four wheeler that was in front of me and all over the road.Years ago,I took on all comers.But after riding for close to 70 consecutive years,I've slowed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down.Why?? Because I've also done accident reconstruction,and let me tell ya, I've seen human bodies in pieces on the road like other poeple have seen dead animals on the road after being hit and then dragged by the vehicle that struck em,and it wasn't a pretty site.Most of the guys would blow lunch when they saw some of these poor soles spattered in their vehicles and or all over the road and couldn't handle it.It never bothered me unless I knew the deceased party.But that was some time ago and I don't have to do it anymore.

·
Administrator
24,817 Posts
Most of the guys would blow lunch when they saw some of these poor soles spattered in their vehicles and or all over the road and couldn't handle it.
In my 45yrs of LE I likewise saw plenty of that ~~ main reason I don’t do stupid shit on my bike. My brother was on the Traffic Team at Aurora PD when he covered a double-fatal mcy t/a. It was enough that he climbed off his bike until he retired. I never heard the details of that t/a ~~ but if it was that bad, there was no need for me to pry. And we grew up on bikes together.

For most folks, all you have to see is one…

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
1,388 Posts
To each his/her own. Since I hit 65 double nickles is fine for me. I've had enough thrills, spills and buried enough brothers who were run down by morons in Cars in my life. Riding a motorcycle is one of the most enjoyable things I do. The funny thing is the deck is stacked against you. My Daddy used to call motorcycles "graveyard ponies" when my brother and I rode em in our teens. Dad quit when my Grandmother showed us a photo of him on a 741 Scout right after WWII. Other vehicles can take you out in a millisecond. An exploded tire from an 18 wheeler on the road could be in front of you on the road, at 160 mph little room/time for avoidance. Wild animals (up here moose, the largest mammal in North America, my friends Across the inlet in New Brunswick call them swamp donkeys) can meander out into the road, if you hit a 1500 pound animal at that speed you'll not live to tell the tale. I don't take issues with your need for speed. Ride what how you want. I generally ride alone because I like to ride how I want. Best of luck.

·
Bronze member
1,711 Posts
The only outcome of that type of "race" is that you'll be "first' to the cemetery....in a box!!!!! Why risk it..........especially if you are riding outside of your ABILITIES and mechanical capabilities of your bike!?!?!?!?? Remember it's not the speed that kills....it's always the sudden STOP!!!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

·
Bronze member
3,530 Posts
Flipped a shovelhead,not quite at 100 mph,didn't have a speedometer but the car I passed was over 80 mph.that one skinned me up good,head to toe road rash.
You think that would have taught me something.nope.
They said I didn't break any bones, was because I was so drunk lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’m not a racer but I have a bit of twist on some rides. I love how my CDH handles and runs. I have tipped 110 on the 111 but still just cruising as I pulled through the mountains. I have a windshield so didn’t catch too much wind. I try not to make it a habit but I get claustrophobic around a lot of cagers. Either slow down or speed up but I don’t play with em.

·
Registered
2016 blue diamond roadmaster, 2017 chieftain limited, 2017 chieftain classic dark horse.
61 Posts
I'm just curious? How fast is the limit that y'all are pushing the thunderstroke 111 or 116? Can the bike go comfortably over 100 mph with stability?

I'm just curious because as soon as I got this cruiser seems like cars want to mess with motorcycles. I'm coming from sport bikes and usually I would dust a disrespectful cager.

Now I'm feeling like I'm no competition anymore on the chief. I mean the bike is stable at high speeds but I'm just curious how hard and fast y'all push it when challenged?
Purchase lots of life insurance. Someone you love, will benefit financially from you for sure with that attitude. It’s only a matter of time that unexpected things happen. Enjoy your Indian and ride safe.

·
Registered
2022 Challenger Limited
19 Posts
I'm just curious? How fast is the limit that y'all are pushing the thunderstroke 111 or 116? Can the bike go comfortably over 100 mph with stability?

I'm just curious because as soon as I got this cruiser seems like cars want to mess with motorcycles. I'm coming from sport bikes and usually I would dust a disrespectful cager.

Now I'm feeling like I'm no competition anymore on the chief. I mean the bike is stable at high speeds but I'm just curious how hard and fast y'all push it when challenged?

Well those engines are good but not made to race cars. If you want to race cars go back to sport bike or get a big bore kit. Or you can get a challenger if you want a bit more power. But after all you got a cruiser not a racing machine. Hope this helps on your decision. You have a nice ride enjoy it that way. Cars tease you due to the fact you’re cruising along just fine it’s envy. Laugh at the moment it happens continue cruising and you will enjoy that laughter a lot.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Trying to ride faster than everyone else and constantly trying to get around the cars in front of me really starts to wear on me mentally. Years ago I figured out it's a lot more fun to cruise down the road at 5 mph under the speed limit, relax and let all the other drivers have the stress of passing me. It may take me a couple minutes longer to get to my destination, but that's just more time spent on my motorcycle so I don't mind.
I ride very fast, every time I think that I can get away with it. I still spend large amounts of time on my Challenger, I just make sure that my destinations are a lot farther away.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

My 15 rm hit over 100 and very stable my 21springfield hors 90 quickly haven't taken it more I don't think ....yet

41 - 60 of 78 Posts