Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
You guys are great lol I'm glad y'all understand we like to twist that throttle avit more than usual. At the end of the day I agree I'm not going to let the competition or ego get to me. I'll always be safe, I just was curious how fast the thunderstroke can go while maintaining stability
Dude they’re pretty good for dinosaurs. I haven’t had any stability issues at higher speeds. I don’t get any thrills out of 120 mph, though. I don’t get excited until I’m in the 160 and up territory.

Reactions: Byron Sexton

·
Registered
2022 Indian Springfield dark horse
331 Posts
I'm not against getting on the throttle a little bit everybody likes a little speed But the whole racing thing is just silly to me that's just me I realize everybody's different And it puts people's lives on necessarily at just yours and the guy you are racing but God forbid you hit anyone else Like I said not against twisting the throttle a little bit Not claiming that I've never gone over the speed limit But I think doing racing People you can get pretty reckless trying to win that race You know competitive nature and all that stuff somebody speeding on their own that even though you're speeding hopefully youre driving more responsibly Just saying take a second to think before jumping in Well possibly imagine having to sit in a courtroom across her own mother or father explaining to them why their child's dead and how it was worth it cause you won the race Or why they are paralyzed because it was worth it because you won the race Imagine how that would sound to that person trying to explain how it was worth it and how silly it all is Can you realize who cares if someone challenges me why does it even matter be safe out there want to race book some track time

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow I feel like an odd duck out. My wife races me in her Camaro and me on my Challenger anytime we are near each other. In my mid-50's and sometimes gotta bring the front wheel off the ground and make my body know it still produces adrenaline. fastest it ever got was 105 when my wife then kept going nd the speed limiter was kicking in about 110

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've been to 100 a couple times, not really anything to talk about, since I am generally doing 80 to 90 on the interstate anyways, just to stay with traffic. Not sure why I stop at 100 mph, don't want my saddle bags to blow off I guess. And there is the wind. Anyways, I have been pretty good about impulse control. Have raced before and win or lose, I always felt like I did a really stupid thing afterwards. As long as whatever I am driving can get from 0 to 100 in a reasonable amount of time, I'm happy.

·
Rider
1,350 Posts
Trying to ride faster than everyone else and constantly trying to get around the cars in front of me really starts to wear on me mentally. Years ago I figured out it's a lot more fun to cruise down the road at 5 mph under the speed limit, relax and let all the other drivers have the stress of passing me. It may take me a couple minutes longer to get to my destination, but that's just more time spent on my motorcycle so I don't mind.
My sentiments exactly. Looking at 70yo and it’s been 45 years since I’ve even tried to outrun a cop. Although this Challenger is doing it’s best to bring out the devil in me lol. On a couple of occasions even with the wife and pulling a trailer I’ve found myself at the century mark with little effort.
Now, there is this stretch of Wyoming State Highway 34 that for the last 30 years or so, 9 motorcycles has compelled me to WOT and peg the speedo or unfortunately now the speed limiter. Shortly after each new bike had been well broken in, it’s been kind of a tradition. Fairly flat, seldom used and not so much as a dog leg for as far as the eye can see. Being well aware of a stray antelope naturally. This stretch of highway is 20 miles west of Laramie, Wy so we’re looking at 7500’ give or take so no land speed records broken here. The Road Master, stage ll handled fine but grunted and groaned for aways to 105. The Challenger zipped right up to 112 according to the Garmin GPS. Comparable to my ‘13 Wing.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
To Be honest i wanted to Gauge what this Bike can do...i know I should probably take it to a track and really see what the Chief can handle.
I used to take all my vehicles to the track at least once just to see what they would do. But, now I live in the center of drag race purgatory and it's to far to do it anymore. But, iv always wanted to try my Chieftain out. At least in the 1/8 mile.

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Smoke Chieftain
35 Posts
I don't ever seem to get challenged when on my Chieftain, not even by other baggers which is OK for me. Now when I take the Vette out it seems at every light somebody wants to test me. I outgrew that stuff years ago. If I wanted speed I'll take it out of the city limits on a flat road or to the strip.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I don't really think of my Springfield as fast. My GPS shows the fastest I have ever done on it was 96 MPH, AND I don't normally ride it like that.
I also don't have people trying to race me when I'm riding it. Something about the styling doesn't suggest it's for racing I guess.

The only time I ever had anyone challenge me on it was from another bike. I was returning home to GA. from a road trip and was about 20 miles east of Birmingham, AL on I-20. Traffic was moving at a pretty fast pace. The drivers in the fast lane were doing 85-90. I was in the third (slowest) lane with the cruise set to 75. A guy on a Hyabusa passed me in the middle lane and immediately pulled over into my lane. This wasn't a problem because he didn't cut me off. After going perhaps 150 yards he slowed down enough that I had to tap the brake to disengage the cruise control and I slowed down to 65 on the speedo. When the middle lane was clear, I pulled into it and went by him. Apparently, he did not like that because he instantly sped up and went by me and then cut into the middle lane where I was and turned around with a WTF shrug. I just kind of ignored him and stayed behind. A couple of exits later he got off the interstate and turns around and looks at me again.
I never figured out what his problem was, but maybe he thought I was challenging the superiority of the busa's speed.

I certainly wasn't trying to race him, hell, the Springfield couldn't hang with that bike if he never got out of 2nd gear. He was impeding my progress and I was just trying to resume the speed I was going before he came along.

·
Silver member
5,904 Posts
My 15 vintage,at 100 mph is like pulling teeth to go faster,but it has a lot more rpm to go.
So it creeps very slowly to about 110,and that's about it.
I think the fly by wire closes the throtle at about 100 allowing a little more before limiting the speed.
Yet very stable,actually I've ran at 100 for a mile or two going through south dakota.
Now a vic hammer,it will run faster than you are willing to go lol.
'15 Vintage here too. It gets to 100 ok, and it will generally touch 108, and 110 on gps with a tail wind, but only if I'm patient and talk real nice to it. Slow but comfy...

Reactions: Byron Sexton

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've always been a glass half empty kinda guy, because my cup has run'eth dry on a couple of occasions. I only say this because I love my bike, and don't want any jacka$$ taking it from me. I have crapptastic luck with sports cars, and two of my "pride and joy" vehicles were taken from me (and I was put into the hospital) by other people making very bad decisions. Unfortunately this has been the "rule" in my life (Murphy's Law) more than the exception... people always making piss poor decisions around me, and costing me money and my health; this is why I'm such an anal prick. I see a lot of bad decisions on the roads, this is one of the reasons I believe in God... because if Darwin were at the wheel, 99% of people wouldn't be here; God do I wish he was driving, would eliminate most morons! Yup people call me a dick, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Enjoy the ride, getting there faster, or in multiple pieces doesn't make you a hero, a winner, right, a bada$$, cool, or "The Best"... it just means you got there a little quicker and avoided becoming another Darwin Award Winner. I get people wanting to race all the time, I just imagine them doing donuts on the highway (seen it happen, and smiled all the way home) and then total their vehicles and end up in intensive care...sucks to be an idiot.

If you wanna race, take it to a track day, or the strip... seriously though, go have some fun and throw some rubber down where it's sanctioned and people will oogle over the bike after you run it; and you'll be around some other gear heads who appreciate it.

The other issue here...innocent bystanders, the drunk driver that broad sided me in my Focus RS (500 on odo) pushed me into oncoming traffic... those unsuspecting people in the other car had just had their first born and was bringing their brand new daughter home from the hospital. <--- Drunk driver deserved a proper curb stomping.

Just be aware that you may affect an innocent persons life... or take it. (funny someone in my office just read this post and said... "sounds like Adulting") roflmao

·
Registered
576 Posts
Since this has turned into something of a "confessions" thread, I'll jump in:
The only time I find myself road racing is when someone thinks they have a fast vehicle - and they don't.

Mind you, I know what a fast vehicle is... I have a blown Model A that runs mid-11's on the track... and the bikes we're talking about here are not that fast.
However... when a Jeep or Silverado (my winter vehicle) or (stock) Mustang (and let's not even talk about Subarus) thinks they're going to be in front of me when the lane ends, I feel it's my duty to disillusion them concerning the performance potential of their vehicle. This also may serve to defend the reputation of the Indian brand - although that might be a bit of a stretch.

Warning: this philosophy of mine has the inherent danger of placing a potentially dangerous driver, who feels they've been treated badly somehow, behind me - where they can be a real hazard as opposed to letting them feel all fast and superior and be in front of me instead. :unsure: We all need to weigh the risk/benefit equation for ourselves.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Since this has turned into something of a "confessions" thread, I'll jump in:
The only time I find myself road racing is when someone thinks they have a fast vehicle - and they don't.

Mind you, I know what a fast vehicle is... I have a blown Model A that runs mid-11's on the track... and the bikes we're talking about here are not that fast.
However... when a Jeep or Silverado (my winter vehicle) or (stock) Mustang (and let's not even talk about Subarus) thinks they're going to be in front of me when the lane ends, I feel it's my duty to disillusion them concerning the performance potential of their vehicle. This also may serve to defend the reputation of the Indian brand - although that might be a bit of a stretch.

Warning: this philosophy of mine has the inherent danger of placing a potentially dangerous driver, who feels they've been treated badly somehow, behind me - where they can be a real hazard as opposed to letting them feel all fast and superior and be in front of me instead. :unsure: We all need to weigh the risk/benefit equation for ourselves.
I dunno about that mustang… unless you’re talking about the non GT? Mustangs aren’t pulling c8 corvette 0-60’s, but they’ll certainly out quick most baggers.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts