Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
22 Chief DarkHorse
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious? How fast is the limit that y'all are pushing the thunderstroke 111 or 116? Can the bike go comfortably over 100 mph with stability?

I'm just curious because as soon as I got this cruiser seems like cars want to mess with motorcycles. I'm coming from sport bikes and usually I would dust a disrespectful cager.

Now I'm feeling like I'm no competition anymore on the chief. I mean the bike is stable at high speeds but I'm just curious how hard and fast y'all push it when challenged?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I have no problem with my roadmaster at 110-120. The pan america easily pulls up to 140. Of course the sport bike zone is 186.5. So none of the Indian offerings are in that stratosphere.

·
Registered
22 Chief DarkHorse
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I worked with a guy that said he HAD to fight every day in high school……… it was all him. Re think your position……. Just saying. Been riding 55 years ……… never thought everyone wanted to …. Race me.
So you never had a cager on your back then get in the lane next to you and then dash off

·
Bronze member
3,542 Posts
My 15 vintage,at 100 mph is like pulling teeth to go faster,but it has a lot more rpm to go.
So it creeps very slowly to about 110,and that's about it.
I think the fly by wire closes the throtle at about 100 allowing a little more before limiting the speed.
Yet very stable,actually I've ran at 100 for a mile or two going through south dakota.
Now a vic hammer,it will run faster than you are willing to go lol.

·
Founding member / distinguished
5,568 Posts
Where it concerns the two III's that I owned, I didn't really allow myself to get into any speed contests with cars. It just seemed an exercise in frustration, and most often, futility.

I do, however, understand the temptation to do such things every now and then, but again, never with either of the Chiefs I once owned.

I have, in several occasions 'romped' a few cars, and a couple motorcycles, with my Triumph Rocket 3R, though I called it off before triple digit speeds were achieved, taking advantage of that bike's incredible mid-range torque punch.

Almost twenty years ago, I got myself into an interstate, 'balls-out' race with a Shelby Mustang against my 2000 Hayabusa. Yes, I 'beat' him, but not easily, and my speedometer was reading 170 mph to do it, which would have been 155 'actual' mph after factoring in my Suzuki's speedometer error.

I'm older now, and even if not a lot wiser than I was two decades ago, neither my much-ridden, 24hp Vespa 300, nor my 47hp Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 are particularly well suited for highway hooliganism.

Also, many of today's cars are just too fast in their higher speed potential to mess with on a relatively lumbering 800 lb V-twin cruiser...IMO anyway. Those kind of bikes are just SO out of their element doing that kind of thing. They're like big, friendly, pleasure horses, and have no place at the Kentucky Derby.

·
Registered
2014 Indian Chief Vintage
177 Posts
115mph on my 2014 vintage at highway speed is comfortable. It will cruise control at 125mph but dont have much to share beyond 130mph. High speed curves can be interesting with a dip or bump when over 115mph so keep your saddle bag weight even to stay neutral when the bike gets bouncy to avoid wobble effect. I dont use a screen and I run my shocks stiff. Very stable bike in my opinion.

While I ride 85-90 on the norm, its not often I need to go faster. I also don't recall having a car want to race me ever but wouldn't take that seriously anyway. Cages be cages. Here in California I can just ride between a bunch of car and separate myself from idiot cagers. Which seems more sensible for my safety.

All states should have the lane share law. Why in the hell woukd you want to sit sandwich between 2ton+ vehicles and be a sitting duck for some texting fool to rear-ended you. I hate sitting at a light exposed to cagers!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
4,083 Posts
I’m not sure what the aero is like on a Chief DH but all my Indians can go over 100 with ease. The 11 Vintage suffered the most with high speed aero drag so it would max out a bit over 100. The fairing bikes do better and the Challenger will do 130 if the limiter is removed. All the bikes seemed stable.

Racing cars and irate drivers is another matter and has other dangers. In my Bentley GTC I ran a new Mustang and he beat me so I backed out at 150ish. He kept climbing but had a little issue with the bend in the road. It did not look safe but he made it.

Reactions: PeacePipe

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Who cares about any of that shit why have to prove yourself to some asshole you don't even know What's your own life and who knows how many other people's lives in danger while doing it I'll never understand that shit
Spoken like an owner of a slow bike 😂😂. I kid I kid, but you can put the pope on gsxr 1000 and he’ll do 150 mph down a city street.

·
Registered
2019 Roadmaster
365 Posts
Trying to ride faster than everyone else and constantly trying to get around the cars in front of me really starts to wear on me mentally. Years ago I figured out it's a lot more fun to cruise down the road at 5 mph under the speed limit, relax and let all the other drivers have the stress of passing me. It may take me a couple minutes longer to get to my destination, but that's just more time spent on my motorcycle so I don't mind.

·
Registered
22 Chief DarkHorse
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You guys are great lol I'm glad y'all understand we like to twist that throttle avit more than usual. At the end of the day I agree I'm not going to let the competition or ego get to me. I'll always be safe, I just was curious how fast the thunderstroke can go while maintaining stability

1 - 20 of 80 Posts