Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have issues with putting the left side cover back on their Roadmaster? I have an 18 Roadmaster Elite, with a heat gaurd, and I can't get that left side panel back on for nothing. I can get the back two pegs in the grommets, but can't get the front one to save my life. Any tips?

·
Founding member
1,165 Posts
It gets easier the more you do it.... Maybe not the answer you're looking for but it's the truth. I was just thinking about the struggles I used to have the other day when I was putting my covers back on, with no troubles at all. Not slighting your question because it used to drive me crazy putting them back on, but trust me it gets to where you don't even have to think about it. It's all about how you slide it in to start with and too difficult for me to explain, though someone else may have a go at it. Practice and patience at first is the key.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It gets easier the more you do it.... Maybe not the answer you're looking for but it's the truth. I was just thinking about the struggles I used to have the other day when I was putting my covers back on, with no troubles at all. Not slighting your question because it used to drive me crazy putting them back on, but trust me it gets to where you don't even have to think about it. It's all about how you slide it in to start with and too difficult for me to explain, though someone else may have a go at it. Practice and patience at first is the key.
i wish that were the case! i've been doing it for two years and struggle every time. I even had the mechanic at the dealership show me and i still can't figure out what i'm doing wrong. Definitely agree though that there is a magic angle to slide it in

·
Registered
72 Posts
Does anyone else have issues with putting the left side cover back on their Roadmaster? I have an 18 Roadmaster Elite, with a heat gaurd, and I can't get that left side panel back on for nothing. I can get the back two pegs in the grommets, but can't get the front one to save my life. Any tips?
Yes, it is a PITA! Sometimes, I get it on with only a little trouble. Most of the time it takes a few minutes for something that should take seconds. I'd love to see them move the shock valve outside of that so we can check/adjust pressure without jumping that hoop.

·
Founding member
1,165 Posts
Ok, I'll try and describe the "trick".... Slide it in at an angle over the passenger mount with the front portion lowered and then straighten once it is in place. Then firmly push it into the grommets. That is the best way I can describe it, hope that makes sense.

·
Bronze member
1,245 Posts
Yes, it is a PITA! Sometimes, I get it on with only a little trouble. Most of the time it takes a few minutes for something that should take seconds. I'd love to see them move the shock valve outside of that so we can check/adjust pressure without jumping that hoop.
There a couple vendors on the forum that sell a kit to relocate the shock air valve. Just search the forum

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm embarrassed to say that i spent 30 minutes trying to get that side cover on with no avail this morning. it's usually not that bad. can't get the front peg in the grommet at all

·
Registered
146 Posts
I take a silicone spray, wet the tip of a q-tip and apply it to the inside of the rubber grommets.. That helps with pulling the covers on and off and Conditions them.... I have not had any issues with the panels being secure

·
168 Posts
Removal of the passenger floor board makes it much easier. But clearly the best thing you can do is to buy a valve extender and run it under the seat just above the right saddlebag . This makes to very easy to adj. the rear shock pressure without dismantling anything. It is a $12 item on Amazon. Indian should have moved this valve years a go.

·
Founding member
1,165 Posts
I guess if you only remove the cover to put air in the shock, it will take longer to get used to the process. I take my covers off during cleaning, so about once a week and after 6+ years it seriously is not even remotely a hassle... I prefer my air shock outlet behind that cover, but we're all entitled to our own opinions.

Sorry for your struggles, I can't say it's ever taken me a half an hour to get back on and I never even considered removing any parts to get it back on.

·
Bronze member
1,590 Posts
Ok, I'll try and describe the "trick".... Slide it in at an angle over the passenger mount with the front portion lowered and then straighten once it is in place. Then firmly push it into the grommets. That is the best way I can describe it, hope that makes sense.
This is the exact process I use. The only other thing I will add is it is easier if you open the saddlebag lid. Keep in mind, I do not have the rear highway bars on my RM.

Reactions: Ledzepdad

·
Registered
608 Posts
I use the same method to get mine back on. And it's most likely coming off today, with the trunk and seat to get some access to my fuse block that has no room to hide anywhere, but barely under the front seat. Not much room for anything under the seat, or the panels unless it's something small and flat and maybe slightly bendy. The last time I put the left side panel back on I had a short struggle with it. I was able to flex the cover slightly to get the front peg in the grommet. It just looked like it wasn't lining up after I got the rear pegs in the grommets. Slipped right in. I flexed it a little so the middle bowed out slightly with the rear of the panel already in place.

·
Registered
127 Posts
On my 2019 with stock seat the trick was to lift the saddle flap up over the side cover whilst getting it lined up.

·
Silver member
5,044 Posts
I don't find it difficult at all. I just flip the passenger board down, slide it back in at a n angle and over the crash bar, level it up and snap it in. I usually snap the front in first. It only takes me about 20 seconds...

·
Registered
114 Posts
There a couple vendors on the forum that sell a kit to relocate the shock air valve. Just search the forum
EveryDayRider...this is the way to go. There was a thread about fabricating a bracket, then attaching the air line to it. No need to buy anything. I did that. Works great! There's a thread down a bit about this.

·
German Rider
1,733 Posts
That's what I did. No more removal necessary.

IMG_20191222_115108.jpg
IMG_20191222_115032.jpg

Cu,
Sven

Reactions: Lord Bard Prime
1 - 20 of 44 Posts