Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon purchase of my Chieftan, my dealer installed a pigtail for a trickle charger on my battery. It's fairly short, and I have to remove the left side access panel to gain access to it. I have a Rear Highway Bar which complicates the removal and replacement of the access panel. It's actually a HUGE pain in the ass.
Anyone else having this problem? What am I missing? Is there a trick to this?

20150121_233505_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
456 Posts
It is a pain in the ass to remove so when I put my charger connection on I made the lead long enough so it is accessible from between the cylinder head and the side cover, it just tucks in behind the frame. I also added an extension to the shock fill valve and it's accessible the same as the charger connection. I will take a pic and post tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I installed my battery maintainer cable and left it long enough to loop over the top of the side cover and down about 3". The seat side panel hides the wire and it's accessible without removing the cover.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,112 Posts
I think it's a PIA too, that's why I fed mine up through the backrest slit. I don't use a backrest myself so I'm not sure if it would interfere or not. I would think it would be OK as long as you don't take on and off a lot.

TenderPigtail.jpg

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
My bike was delivered with a pigtail outside and behind the right side panel. I had these type of plastic grommet side panels on a gold wing and had a lot of trouble with the pins breaking off if you use them a lot..(expensive to replace so I was always gluing them on). .I hate to say it but if you spit on the pins they go on a lot easier but see if your pigtail has more length to it when you pull the seat off and eliminate the issue....

·
Registered
448 Posts
Really? I find both the right and left side panels very easy to take off and put back on. Maybe that comes from owning Goldwings in the past. Simply pull on the front and back ends of the panel, it pops right off. To put back on position correctly, be sure pins are lined up with rubber grommets and push.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,602 Posts
The passenger floorboards do make it more interesting but not too bad. Not sure why all the fuss on installing ports for connecting a battery tender. I bought a 12v plug and wired my tender to it. All I do is plug it into my 12v outlet on the fairing. Boom, done. Dean E

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
As a solo rider I removed the passenger pegs, then it was easy to get the left side off. I also have pulled my wiring out to where I don't have remove it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I installed my battery maintainer cable and left it long enough to loop over the top of the side cover and down about 3". The seat side panel hides the wire and it's accessible without removing the cover.
I did this as well, the pigtail is hidden behind the fringe.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All good info. Thanks much all!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The O/P has a point, on the road master with the floor boards adjusted up, ( my wifes short ) and the crotch cooler, that side panel will be trashed, if I keep removing it to adjust the air, so Eaglehead I'm interested in seeing a picture of the air fill line lengthened.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
I think it's a PIA too, that's why I fed mine up through the backrest slit. I don't use a backrest myself so I'm not sure if it would interfere or not. I would think it would be OK as long as you don't take on and off a lot.

View attachment 5446
Thats a great idea. I use that charger port to power my GoPro as well so leaving on the side by the panel works better for my applications.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts