Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rider
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I noticed that the left handlebar grip rotates with slight pressure. I was able to rotate it out at least an inch, and not with much difficulty. I pushed it back in. It's not too loose. Should I leave it like that?
Should I tighten it? I was told there's a screw under the rubber. I'm not sure how it would rotate and move outward if there is a screw. I'm afraid to pull the rubber to uncover said screw, that I would scratch the housing or start an unnecessary job.

I have custom made 14 inch apes that were installed by the dealer few months ago, so maybe the grip was just glued on (if that's a thing).

Would appreciate any input.

Stay safe.

·
Bronze member
4,121 Posts
They changed the design of the grips for the 2018 bikes, but it sounds like yours is before that as the new ones slot into the switch block. Here's the parts pic.

It might be that the custom bars didn't have the screw hole, so no screw. You can glue the grip in place, which is a standard thing across most bikes. Get some grip glue, there are heaps of brands.

·
Bronze Member
1,415 Posts
I used hairspray on dirt bike grips years ago. It worked fine. (of course, out on the farm we used a lot of backwoods engineering)

I'd stay away from anything that will adhere permanently like super glue. Someone may need to take those grips off some day, and that someone might be you!

·
Rider
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys. I couldn't wait, and went ahead and applied loctite gel control glue. Hope it works. I know for a fact I will not be changing these grips, unless they are ruined in an accident.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts