Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m having the time of my life trying to remove my left hand grip. I was looking for the mysterious screw which does not exist on mine for some reason. I’m at a loss! My grip does not peel back to reveal any fastener. It’s actually a solid polymer material of sorts that extends inside of the control housing. For two days I have used WD-40, a strap wrench and a beefy pair of channel lock pliers. I even attempted to tap the thing off with a large mallet. Nothing! I now have a broken strap wrench, most of the rubber has been ground off from the pliers and the grip hasn’t so much as moved an eyelash.
Has anyone had this problem and what did you do?! I don’t want to go to the dealership and pay $200 dollars for someone to take their sweet time with a blowtorch and cut-off wheel. It’s not even the grip that is supposed to have been on the bike according to most forums. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Ready for this? It’s glued on there with a pound of superglue. Grab a flat head screw driver and a hammer. Put the blade between the grip and the handlebar and tap away. You hear cracking and popping. You will destroy the grip in the process. It will come off easily using this method. Follow that up with sanding the old glue and then put the new grip on. With glue...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch for the info! Everyone has been telling me about the hidden screw and I keep having to explain that it is not that particular grip. I was afraid that breaking it would be the only way.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
yep, use a flat head, destroy that grip and move on with your life! Cheers!

Thanks a bunch for the info! Everyone has been telling me about the hidden screw and I keep having to explain that it is not that particular grip. I was afraid that breaking it would be the only way.

Reactions: gearhead4207
1 - 5 of 5 Posts