Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the threads here and other sources and, though I have come close, I have not found the definitive answer Please excuse my ignorance on this topic and any advice is much appreciated.

I am looking to install the following LED indicators on my Scout

Kuryakyn by Kellermann Atto Satin Black Turn Signal with Red/Red/Amber Turn Signal
And
Custom Dynamics 41mm Black Fork Tube Turn Signals

From my understanding if I do not install a Voltage Regulator or Resistor they will not work properly (flickering, staying on dimly, etc). When I search for them online nothing 'Matches' my bike, even generic ones. I am sure because they are not fully tested.

So I ask, realizing others have done this, Is there one we know that will work? Do I need the Regulator or Resistor or are the the same nut?

Im assuming they will come with installation instructions, if not that can be another thread 馃榿

Again thank you in advance for your incredible assistance.

Registered
I have searched the threads here and other sources and, though I have come close, I have not found the definitive answer Please excuse my ignorance on this topic and any advice is much appreciated.

I am looking to install the following LED indicators on my Scout

Kuryakyn by Kellermann Atto Satin Black Turn Signal with Red/Red/Amber Turn Signal
And
Custom Dynamics 41mm Black Fork Tube Turn Signals

From my understanding if I do not install a Voltage Regulator or Resistor they will not work properly (flickering, staying on dimly, etc). When I search for them online nothing 'Matches' my bike, even generic ones. I am sure because they are not fully tested.

So I ask, realizing others have done this, Is there one we know that will work? Do I need the Regulator or Resistor or are the the same nut?

Im assuming they will come with installation instructions, if not that can be another thread 馃榿

Again thank you in advance for your incredible assistance.
I can鈥檛 guarantee im correct but the voltage kits are for bikes that use high powered regular lights. Because the indians already use leds they will likely work. I installed kuryakyn blacked out turn signals on my scout with no issues.

it comes down to making the lights draw enough power to have the solenoid work. They probably already do.

if you install them and they don鈥檛 work you can try just installing a regular resistor inline with the light, or even better a rheostat (a variable resistor you adjust). Then adjust it until it works properly, and place it somewhere the heat dissipation won鈥檛 be an issue.

i could get into calculating stuff but i say they should work and if not - tinker.

Bronze member
Aftermarket lights like these have come a fair way over the years. Now that most bikes are fitted with LED from factory, the aftermarket stuff usually works, although there are some reports on here of lights that don't behave as well as expected. It's worth asking Kuryakyn if you are hesitant.

Bronze member
Even my 鈥15 with incandescent bulbs for signals was okay with superbrightLEDs replacements. Nothing extra needed.

Reactions: buzzardjrt

Registered
Most of the time, aftermarket LED indicators come with resistors soldered inline that dial down the system's voltage to the appropriate level so you won't have to worry about getting a voltage regulator. Just FYI, resistors and regulators are different things but achieve the same result.

I'd say since you're replacing both the front and back indicators you shouldn't run into any "fast-flashing" issues, especially since others report no problems. If you end up experiencing this, you can always just get a cheap LED flasher relay and swap out the stock one. I've done LED conversions on two motorcycles from different manufacturers using this relay and it works every time. Forget the harness and hardwire.

Best of luck on your install. You'll get very basic instructions with your new lights as to which wire is ground/power/intermittent so make sure to study the Scout's wiring when you take the indicators off. As a rule of thumb, black is always ground, solid color is power, and striped color is intermittent but you never know what you'll find until you start tearing into it.

Registered
Unfortunately the scout doesn't have a traditional flasher relay - the instruction is dealt with by the main processor - one of the reasons why scout indicators have a self cancelling feature. So don't bother looking for one. The better quality led indicators often have resistors prewired but not always. I have replaced all the bulbs in the factory fitted indicator housings with leds that mimic the single filament bulb and they work fine.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the insightful and detailed answers.

It seems I was suffering from Analysis Paralysis again combined with knowledge of when LEDs were just becoming popular.

Also thank you for the links shared. Those were a nice bonus.

Registered
Learn something new everyday! Thanks for the insight on the Scout's lack of a flasher relay.
(Hey, that rhymed...)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts