Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Bronze member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm into being seen by the door slamming, cell phone junky, knuckleheads, BEFORE they ram into me from behind. How about finding an auxiliary lamp assembly that fits in the rectangular space below the trunk, above the tail light? At 9.75" x 1.5" it's the perfect place for a nice bright LED assembly. Ideally one that incorporates running lights with brake lights. Hell! Lets find something that's about a zillion candlepower! I'm on the hunt. Anybody wanna join me?

Attachments

· Registered
426 Posts
The Kuryaken Fender LED strips add A LOT of light to the rear of the bike, and look quite nice. Check them out. I added them, and I can see the entire car behind me lit up like a christmas tree when i'm holding the brake stopped at a light.

· Founding Member
423 Posts
I also added a Volo license plate frame that has flashing LEDs that light up as it senses the bike decelerates. The faster the deceleration the faster it will flash the LEDs. It is independent of the bikes brake system. The computer in the Volo frame monitors the acceleration/deceleration via sensors and trips the frames LEDs based upon how you set the sensitivity. That is my first line of defense, the Kuryaken fender LEDs come on when I hit the brakes. Still there are times when that isn't enough so you still have to keep your head on a swivel and monitor your mirrors.

Reactions: Carlinla

· Bronze member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm into being seen by the door slamming, cell phone junky, knuckleheads, BEFORE they ram into me from behind. How about finding an auxiliary lamp assembly that fits in the rectangular space below the trunk, above the tail light? At 9.75" x 1.5" it's the perfect place for a nice bright LED assembly. Ideally one that incorporates running lights with brake lights. Hell! Lets find something that's about a zillion candlepower! I'm on the hunt. Anybody wanna join me?
We went to the NYC motorcycle show this past weekend and while cruising the wares I found this: AdMore Lighting High Output Premium LED Light Bar | Running, Brake, Progressive Turn Signals & Smart Brake Technology | TwistedThrottle.com
"Significantly reduce the risk of a rear-end collision with a sophisticated accelerometer that activates brake lights with no input other than rapid deceleration via throttle release or downshifting. Command attention with 81 retina burning LED's that feature progressive amber turn signals. The brake light ignites with a flashing strobe upon initial application to capture the awareness of drivers behind you with a consistent strobe of white LED's that are sure to be seen. The unit also works with the hazard (4-way flasher) lights of your motorcycle by activating both progressive turn signals to increase roadside visibility.

This LED light bar is pre-configured with the most popular settings and options, and is primed to go out of the box. If you like to tinker, and tweak, the AdMore light bar allows you to customize its pre-set status. Simply connect it to any computer using the included Micro-USB cable, and the AdMore Configurator Software Suite helps you modify the brightness level, deceleration sensitivity, brake light modulation, white strobe light, license plate light and more!"

The demo REALLY CAUGHT MY EYE", so I'm hoping it'll have the same effect on the cage drivers behind me. Totally programmable with the laptop 'puter, it does running lights, brake lights, signals, etc. I whipped out the credit card and, 3 days later, it's here. Unfortunately Santa is holding the unit until Christmas morning. When I have more info I'll post it, but it sure looks like a perfect fit for the spot below the Roadmaster's trunk.

· Registered
123 Posts
We went to the NYC motorcycle show this past weekend and while cruising the wares I found this: AdMore Lighting High Output Premium LED Light Bar | Running, Brake, Progressive Turn Signals & Smart Brake Technology | TwistedThrottle.com
"Significantly reduce the risk of a rear-end collision with a sophisticated accelerometer that activates brake lights with no input other than rapid deceleration via throttle release or downshifting. Command attention with 81 retina burning LED's that feature progressive amber turn signals. The brake light ignites with a flashing strobe upon initial application to capture the awareness of drivers behind you with a consistent strobe of white LED's that are sure to be seen. The unit also works with the hazard (4-way flasher) lights of your motorcycle by activating both progressive turn signals to increase roadside visibility.

This LED light bar is pre-configured with the most popular settings and options, and is primed to go out of the box. If you like to tinker, and tweak, the AdMore light bar allows you to customize its pre-set status. Simply connect it to any computer using the included Micro-USB cable, and the AdMore Configurator Software Suite helps you modify the brightness level, deceleration sensitivity, brake light modulation, white strobe light, license plate light and more!"

The demo REALLY CAUGHTR MY EYE", so I'm hoping it'll have the same effect on the cage drivers behind me. Totally programmable with the laptop 'puter, it does running lights, brake lights, signals, etc. I whipped out the credit card and, 3 days later, it's here. Unfortunately Santa is holding the unit until Christmas morning. When I have more info I'll post it, but it sure looks like a perfect fit for the spot below the Roadmaster's trunk.
Is it a plug and play or hard wired? RM wiring is not user friendly.

· Registered
426 Posts
How did you wire it up? Direct wired? or Plug and Play?
They Kurkaken Strips are a direct plug and play right into the rear brake light assembly. super awesome for those of us who dont want to mess with wires.

· Bronze member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They Kurkaken Strips are a direct plug and play right into the rear brake light assembly. super awesome for those of us who dont want to mess with wires.
I kinda like the Kuryakyn LED strips, except for the fact that, depending on the angle of view, they can be obscured behind the saddlebags. I've even send Kury an email asking them to make lights that work the same, but replace the vertical strips on the back of the saddlebags.

· Bronze member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's hard wired. But I don't have any problem with that. I've been doing this stuff for decades. I AM trying to get a service manual though, so that I'll have a wiring schematic handy, just in case.
For those who are interested in mounting an auxiliary tail light OR any other electrical item to their Indian, the manufacturer and model series of the connectors that Indian uses for so many items all over the bike are made by Delphi and are called Metri-Pack 150 Series. They come in models that have 2 to 10 contacts. For sources, you can get them from Mouser.com (although at Mouser it's a pain to get all the part numbers for each connector together) and Whiteproducts.com. Delphi also makes a bunch of other connector models that are used in cars and motorcycles, like the connector at the back of headlights, the OBDII hook-up, etc. Check out Feature

· Registered
123 Posts
Curious.......Since no one argues that more intensive/strobe brake lights are not safer, why don't mfger's put them on in the factory. Depending on the model you spend $20-30k you shouldn't have to purchase an after market safety device. Who wouldn't pay another couple hundred at purchase and be done with it. Maybe a dealer prep option.

· Registered
426 Posts
I kinda like the Kuryakyn LED strips, except for the fact that, depending on the angle of view, they can be obscured behind the saddlebags. I've even send Kury an email asking them to make lights that work the same, but replace the vertical strips on the back of the saddlebags.
MAN... THAT WOULD BE AWESOME....

WOW

Reactions: eD K

· Registered
426 Posts
Curious.......Since no one argues that more intensive/strobe brake lights are not safer, why don't mfger's put them on in the factory. Depending on the model you spend $20-30k you shouldn't have to purchase an after market safety device. Who wouldn't pay another couple hundred at purchase and be done with it. Maybe a dealer prep option.
I agree with you %500.

If I had a dollar for the amount of times I said to myself "I should not have to do this to my Roadmaster after paying 30K", I might have enough money for one of my monthly payments by now.

Reactions: buffalorider

· Bronze member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MAN... THAT WOULD BE AWESOME....

WOW
I'm glad that you like the idea. Maybe if more of us were to send them a note asking for LED turn signals/running lights/brake lights that attach to the back of the saddlebags, they'll do it. I have no doubt that it's within their capabilities. They just need to know that the market would support the investment at a profitable level. ;)

· Bronze member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree with you %500.

If I had a dollar for the amount of times I said to myself "I should not have to do this to my Roadmaster after paying 30K", I might have enough money for one of my monthly payments by now.
Well, in the category of "for what it's worth" ...... I have fewer bitches about my Roadmaster than I have had with any other motorcycle that I've owned. Still, a $29K motorcycle...

1- SHOULD COMMAND EVERYONE'S attention whenever the horn button is depressed. The OEM horn sound's like a Warner Brothers character pleading to be heard at a family reunion for the Tasmanian Devil.
2- SHOULD CAPTURE THE EYES of even the most ignorant, cell phone obsessive, facebook addict on the planet every time they come within 100 yards of your tail light.
3- SHOULD LIGHT UP THE NIGHT like a constant nuclear blast, even before you toggle the high beam switch. Making an LED headlight with a METAL BAR crossing the horizontal center of the lens should get someone at the factory fired!

· Registered
426 Posts
Well, in the category of "for what it's worth" ...... I have fewer bitches about my Roadmaster than I have had with any other motorcycle that I've owned. Still, a $29K motorcycle...

1- SHOULD COMMAND EVERYONE'S attention whenever the horn button is depressed. The OEM horn sound's like a Warner Brothers character pleading to be heard at a family reunion for the Tasmanian Devil.
I actually like the OEM horn on the bike. It has been much stronger than my OEM Yamaha alternatives.

I still would not mind those police horns that mount to the crash bars lol

would i get ticketed for using one of these?

Whelen WSSC30 Waterproof Siren and Speaker Combo for Motorcycles Boats and ATVs

· Registered
426 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.