Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read a lot about this. Here is what I do. When I got the bike it came with treatment from Indian. I treated the leather 3 times until I used it up. Leather soaked it all in very dry. I then bough a UV protect treatment. There are many I bought McQuires leather treatment with UV at the local Auto store it is what is had. I have to say thing looks stabilized for now. I plan on continual UV application at least once a month. If anyone thinks they are going to get these bags not to fade without some effort keeping them treated not going to happen. Especially in states like where I Live I am in Fl.

Only other solution by a Roadmaster with hard bags LOL.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Read a lot about this. Here is what I do. When I got the bike it came with treatment from Indian. I treated the leather 3 times until I used it up. Leather soaked it all in very dry. I then bough a UV protect treatment. There are many I bought McQuires leather treatment with UV at the local Auto store it is what is had. I have to say thing looks stabilized for now. I plan on continual UV application at least once a month. If anyone thinks they are going to get these bags not to fade without some effort keeping them treated not going to happen. Especially in states like where I Live I am in Fl.

Over here in Australia Polaris has had a recall on the Chief Vintage leather, they have advised owners to contact their dealer to arrange to have the their leather sent away to have it redyed by a Polaris apointed contractor, over here in OZ Polaris has been working on the fading problem for the last 4 months, I have been told they going to use a UV restistant dye same as the 2015 leather, I have my leather booked in for treatment in January (3 week turn around), my bags/seat etc have faded in just 3 months, so I hope this new treatment resolves the problem, fantastic bike other wise.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts

Halfdeafjeff.....
Man,that handle sure sounds familiar.
Maybe from another forum?

Anyway, there are a lot of threads here and every Indian forum on handling this issue.
Most of us have ultimately resorted to using a good oil based dye to correct the fading issue.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Oil based only way to go. Plenty of posts on this topic along with before, after pics.
Fiebings Oil based dye DID NOT work for me. Four months later it had lost about half it's color and was splotchy looking. What worked for me was exchanging the distressed brown under warranty for black leather.
Before and after pics are not the solution to the problem. It's a given that they look good after being redyed. They looked good when new, but not several months later. The redyed leather will not look good after several months unless it's a garage queen.

·
Super Moderator
4,929 Posts
There is no doubt that distressed tan leather will require upkeep and maintenance, especially for those bikes that sit in the sun. If you think you can re-dye your leather once and you'll never have to address faded leather again you're sadly mistaken.

You're correct Harry, tons of posts and threads on this subject. The search bar function is cool.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Over here in Australia Polaris has had a recall on the Chief Vintage leather, they have advised owners to contact their dealer to arrange to have the their leather sent away to have it redyed by a Polaris apointed contractor, over here in OZ Polaris has been working on the fading problem for the last 4 months, I have been told they going to use a UV restistant dye same as the 2015 leather, I have my leather booked in for treatment in January (3 week turn around), my bags/seat etc have faded in just 3 months, so I hope this new treatment resolves the problem, fantastic bike other wise.
Spot on Davo all of my leather is going away to be done I am in there hands

·
Registered
42 Posts
Curious the end result and how long did it take?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Fiebings Oil based dye DID NOT work for me. Four months later it had lost about half it's color and was splotchy looking. What worked for me was exchanging the distressed brown under warranty for black leather.
Before and after pics are not the solution to the problem. It's a given that they look good after being redyed. They looked good when new, but not several months later. The redyed leather will not look good after several months unless it's a garage queen.
How did you get on with the dealer getting the brown replaced with black? I want to head down that route as do not want to keep re-dealing with this problem.

·
Registered
610 Posts
How did you get on with the dealer getting the brown replaced with black? I want to head down that route as do not want to keep re-dealing with this problem.
I called Indian Customer Service. 877-204-3697. I told them that among other things, I did not consider having to periodically (1 or 2 times a year) redye the leather as being routine maintenance. I used the analogy that if their was a problem with the paint on the tank, would they then send me a spray can of paint and tell me to paint the tank myself, and by the way, you may have to do it again in a year. I was civil but firm with them. They at first offered to have my Dealer redye the leather for me, but I told them I had no faith in that solution. I had already redyed once and it was again in need of another redye job. I had owned the bike for 9 months at that time. They said they would call me back. The first time they didn't. I called them back and after several phone calls back and forth they agreed to swap out the "distressed brown" for black. Even asking if I had purchased any brown leather accessories, because they would swap those too. They shipped the black leather to my Dealer and he installed them, no charge. I'm happy with the swap. Black Vintage with black leather looks good. If I had gotten a red Vintage, I may have given it more thought.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have got my leather back today it looks better then when it was new
In time I well tell if they have turned out a quality finnish on the leather I am hoping this issue is fixed for good
CLACK,CLACK

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have got my leather back today it looks better then when it was new
In time I well tell if they have turned out a quality finnish on the leather I am hoping this issue is fixed for good
CLACK,CLACK
I too got my leather back this week doc, I agree with you they did a good job, a richer dark tan, I expect it to take on a nice patina over time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts