Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The seat in the attached images was found in an old farm shed that the locals claim hadn't been cleaned out since the late 1940's.
Does anyone reconise it's age or know which model bike it came from?
Apart from a few marks on the leather and some rust in the springs it appears to be intact.
Thanks for any clues - - I know next to nothing about Indian motor bikes so any assistance would be appreciated.

Dissily.
P1000308.JPG P1000307.JPG P1000305.JPG

Attachments

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Your seat appears to be from the 1930's era. Given the leaf spring design. If you can find any hallmarks of numbers, that would help. They sell on eBay any where from $50. to $300. depending on condition and rarity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Where would I expect to find the hallmark numbers?
I'm inclined to de-rust the spring section (advisable?) Maybe the hallmark numbers will then be revealed?
Thanks for any help. I haven't spoken yet to the owners about them selling but will tonight.
For US buyers though it may not make economic sense to mail the thing all the way from Australia.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,742 Posts
Dissily, unless it is going to be used in a restoration, I would not take the rust off. If you ruin that patina, you will lose a lot of the value.
I'd just try to protect the leather from any further deterioration.

See an antique dealer/restorer and inquire

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The seat went at a local collectors auction for $750 Australian. Two bidders, one via phone and one attending. The seat turns out to be a 1913 saddleback. The buyer said the leather was in imaculate condition for it's age and that the spring support only had surface rust and could be restored to working condition. He also said he'll re-sell it once restored for more than what he paid for it.
Thanks for the help guys but I suspect some of you were being a little less than totally honest or didn't know what my shots were of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts