Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone aware of how to tighten the leather saddle bag straps as there does not appear to be a way to tighten them? Just bought a 2020 Vintage and the bag straps are very loose and flap in the wind. Sort of annoying at this point.

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
729 Posts
I'm gonna state the obvious but you can purchase a leather punch mounted on a tool akin to a pair of pliers with a circular device with various sized holes at Harbor Freight for less than 5 dollars.

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
729 Posts
PS, carefully measure the existing holes in order to replicate the original holes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually - on closer analysis this will not work. The strap is made as one part and punching another hole will not tighten the strap. Thanks- for the suggestion!

·
Registered
162 Posts
The belt type buckle on the straps is purely ornamental, the side release buckle underneath is riveted to the strap above the belt buckle, adjusting the belt buckle does nothing to the side release underneath. You could move the riveted part up to a new hole but would need a new rivet too. An easier way though would be the top hole of the strap. The top of the strap is held on by the concho(the Indian logo circles on the side of the lid). If you take that off you could then add a second hole further down the strap and reattach it there, that would move the strap higher into the slot in the top and tighten it up some. Would still need to make sure the hole is the same size, as too big and the screw that holds the concho would slip through the hole and the strap would just fall. I currently have one strap off my bike as I was replacing the indian concho with something else and ran into a slight snag(screw for new piece is too short to go thru the leather on the strap and the leather on the lid of the bag like it needs to, oddball size screw have to order longer ones) so I could grab a pic to show you if needed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perfect - was thinking along those lines. You have figured this out. Pictures are always appreciated. Thanks CCK!

·
Registered
162 Posts
On second thought though, even tightening the strap up might not solve your flapping problem. That’s probably more caused by the excess at the bottom of the strap. You could trim that, but then it would show the side release buckle underneath. Might could get an inch without showing the under buckle. But then you’re trimming off the bottom of the edge thread that could unravel. Could try the tightening first to see as that’s mostly harmless.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here’s a couple quick pics of removed strap to show what I’m talkin about. Ya see the hole at the top is where the concho holds it to the bag. And underside you see how the side release buckle is attached above the belt buckle, and how much extra there is below both buckles that’s free to flap

·
Registered
162 Posts
Perhaps add some Velcro to the bottom of the strap and other side on the leather holding the bottom piece of the side release buckle on the bag? Preserves the look, no trimming leather, keeps the strap from flapping, pops off when needed to get to the side release to open the bag

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here’s a couple quick pics of removed strap to show what I’m talkin about. Ya see the hole at the top is where the concho holds it to the bag. And underside you see how the side release buckle is attached above the belt buckle, and how much extra there is below both buckles that’s free to flap View attachment 595892 View attachment 595894 View attachment 595896
One thing I have learned is to make sure you keep the plastic quick release clasp engaged while riding. I think I didn't have one completely latched on a recent ride and I'm guessing it was flapping around pretty good and the screw holding the Concho and strap to the lid pulled through the strap and fell off. $125.00 to replace the Concho. the buckle, and the strap. I had to go to the local hardware to get a screw for the Concho because one was not included. I also bought washers for the screws for all 6 straps on the bags to hopefully prevent losing a strap again in the future.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Different problem on my 2015 . The black plastic quick release part that is attached to the bag no longer holds tight to the chrome buckle . Anyone else have this problem with their bike ? I have some Velcro loops to keep the buckle closed , but now that's not really quick release anymore . It would be difficult to replace the black part because the leather loops goes thru it . I am not wanting to cut or remove that leather loop . Thanks .

·
Super Moderator
5,885 Posts
Different problem on my 2015 . The black plastic quick release part that is attached to the bag no longer holds tight to the chrome buckle . Anyone else have this problem with their bike ? I have some Velcro loops to keep the buckle closed , but now that's not really quick release anymore . It would be difficult to replace the black part because the leather loops goes thru it . I am not wanting to cut or remove that leather loop . Thanks . View attachment 598916 View attachment 598917 View attachment 598918 View attachment 598920
You do not need to cut anything. Simply replace the buckle with a backpack field repair kit. There are several out there. Main thing is they use a pin or screw to attach buckle to leather loop (i.e., no cutting or sewing). Shop for the correct width of leather. Here is an outlet (Sea to Summit) you can shop at:

·
Registered
334 Posts
You do not need to cut anything. Simply replace the buckle with a backpack field repair kit. There are several out there. Main thing is they use a pin or screw to attach buckle to leather loop (i.e., no cutting or sewing). Shop for the correct width of leather. Here is an outlet (Sea to Summit) you can shop at:

Thanks. That might be an option . Although I would like to keep the chrome buckle .

·
Registered
2 Posts
One thing I have learned is to make sure you keep the plastic quick release clasp engaged while riding. I think I didn't have one completely latched on a recent ride and I'm guessing it was flapping around pretty good and the screw holding the Concho and strap to the lid pulled through the strap and fell off. $125.00 to replace the Concho. the buckle, and the strap. I had to go to the local hardware to get a screw for the Concho because one was not included. I also bought washers for the screws for all 6 straps on the bags to hopefully prevent losing a strap again in the future.
JRA,
That happened to me also. Where did you get the replacement from? I haven't had any luck, the Indian Dealer told me I had to buy 2 New Bags, NOT HAPPENING! Thanx.

·
Registered
14 Posts
JRA,
That happened to me also. Where did you get the replacement from? I haven't had any luck, the Indian Dealer told me I had to buy 2 New Bags, NOT HAPPENING! Thanx.
I ordered the parts from Indianmotorcycle.com

1 - 20 of 23 Posts