Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a leather jacket that is a bigger size so I can layer when it is cold.....So when I ride my Scout in a normal riding position I find that the leather jacket touches the tank. There are times when I get back the paint is scuffed a bit...enough I need to hit it with polishing compound to shine it back up. Does leather rubbing on a shinny painted surface cause scuff marks? I have already moved to buckle to the side to it's not the medal touching......Any thoughts or suggestions??

·
Bronze member
2019 FTR 1200
1,333 Posts
Any jacket rubbing on your tank repeatedly is going to mark the clear coat to some degree, even textile with plastic buttons, more so when the tank is already dusty. This is true for most bikes and the reason tank protectors placed in that spot are so common, especially on sport bikes where you're going to be leaning on the tank frequently. If you're really concerned about keeping that spot in perfect shape you'll have to put a tank protector there, otherwise clear coat scuffing is inevitable and you'll have to continue buffing/polishing every once in a while.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I have heard of people trailering their bike on an open trailer with a cover on it, then arriving at their destination and finding the flapping nylon has messed up their paint. So I definitely believe leather could do the same.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The paint on my 2018 is soft and easily damaged. Hope it hardens with age. I've seen leather tank covers that protect the rear portion of the tank, rather than the 'bra' style that goes up the center of the tank. The leather may eat the paint away and not provide protection, though. The manual says to wait a few months before applying wax, allowing time for the paint to cure.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Don’t wear it. Yes wear a silk blouse

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.