Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone with the leather grip covers have any feedback on how well they work with the grip heaters? I'm thinking of adding some to Meoquanee as the stock rubber grips aren't as pleasing to my delicate fingers as dead cow skin, but I'm wondering how well they work with the heaters.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have them on my Roadmaster and they heat just fine. I put them on from the outset si I'm not sure how it compares but there seems to ample heat with them on.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have them on my Roadmaster and they heat just fine. I put them on from the outset si I'm not sure how it compares but there seems to ample heat with them on.
Cool, thanks, I'll give them a try. Colorado is a bit cooler in fall and winter than NC, but down to 48 degrees I haven't pushed over 5 on the heat level, so there's room to push through the leather if needed I think.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have leather grips on my bike and they tend to move as time goes on. Did anyone glue them to rubber grips before tying. What glue worked well?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have leather grips on my bike and they tend to move as time goes on. Did anyone glue them to rubber grips before tying. What glue worked well?
I used a small amount of contact cement (about the size of a quarter) to the inside of the wrap just prior to the final lacing and tying it off 10 months ago.. No movement since... Tony

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I thought about them until I saw the price. I just wear gloves instead. I did notice a few times when I didn't wear my gloves that the edges of the rubber has worn a bit so they aren't as sharp as they were, so it's not uncomfortable as it was when I first go the bike.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I got some 3m two sided tape from Home Depot and put three strips on hand grips then put the leather back on. Now it feels like a leather paded steering wheel and the leather grips don't move anymore. I had video on iPhone but I couldn't download it due to extension..... Probably could if you know what you are doing but hopefully the picture works. I tried before and don't see it...
image.jpg

·
Registered
166 Posts
Question here. The guy at the dealership advised to soak the leather hand grips in water a little before application to help them "stretch" maybe before lacing them up. Did any of you try this method? Do you think the water method would also allow for any "shrinkage" that would help them tighten themselves on the rubber hand grip as the leather dries?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Question here. The guy at the dealership advised to soak the leather hand grips in water a little before application to help them "stretch" maybe before lacing them up. Did any of you try this method? Do you think the water method would also allow for any "shrinkage" that would help them tighten themselves on the rubber hand grip as the leather dries?
The instructions say to soak them too. I followed the instructions and yeah it seems the grips did dry and make them tighten up around the bar. That seems desirable to me, grips should be tight and slipping = bad, but maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Actually the instructions that come with the grips tell you to soak grips in water.... Doesn't work...!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts