Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who may be concerned about leather care and possible discoloration, cracking, or whatever, I have ridden and cared for horses and saddles for many years. Saddles and tack made from leather need to survive not only the elements, but a wet and sweaty horse. If you think people who show horses aren`t concerned about items that will darken or discolor leather, remember this. Those show saddles cost thousands of dollars, and they want them to last for years. Here`s my point. Go to a saddlemaker or a local tack store and ask them what products they recommend. they have many, and they don`t cost an arm or a leg. One product you might try is Leather Keep by the Australian Stock Saddle Co. LEATHERKEEP.com or www.aussiesaddle.com Good luck on your search!!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Thank You for the information. Great suggestion on the horse saddles products. I have a new Vintage and after reading about the discoloration became a little concerned on what product to use in protecting them. I have a store that sells saddles a few miles from my house, will be paying them a visit.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You have to remove the seat, remove the bolts that hold the gas tank one on each side of the frame.
Then slide the tank back an inch or two then remove the 2 screws holding the instrument cluster, the bib will pop off the cluster then.

·
Registered
610 Posts
You have to remove the seat, remove the bolts that hold the gas tank one on each side of the frame.
Then slide the tank back an inch or two then remove the 2 screws holding the instrument cluster, the bib will pop off the cluster then.
You must be talking about the Chieftain. On the Classic and Vintage both screws holding the instrument cluster are easily accessable without moving the tank back. There's also no "popping off" of the bib. It is attached with 2 screws to the underside of the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like the original post regarding how to protect the original leather, but don't understand why so many want to dye it or change it. I love it the way it is, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Hey caveman where did you get that neat tank pouch at? And do you know if they come in black?
Bought it at Larkspur CO renaissance fair from a dealer who does custom leather. This was for my kilt, but was perfect fit for my bike. Right now it holds my cold weather control & wires. I will try to find their names & yes they had it in black.

The below is who I bought it from, but the don't show it on their site. Maybe only at Faire.
Road trip!
Home Page Nativearth Hand Made Footwear and Accessories

·
Registered
201 Posts
Bought it at Larkspur CO renaissance fair from a dealer who does custom leather. This was for my kilt, but was perfect fit for my bike. Right now it holds my cold weather control & wires. I will try to find their names & yes they had it in black.
How did you attach it to the leather bib

·
Registered
544 Posts
Reactions: CavemanHHH
1 - 20 of 21 Posts