Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Founding member
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know on the Chieftains, we don't have all the issues others are having with fading leather, but what is everyone using to maintain their black saddles?

·
Rider
1,100 Posts
I am thinking of using the Aqua Seal leather conditioner that I use on my Aerostich Combat Touring boots. Like the idea of adding some waterproofing to the seat. Not sure how porous the seat is as I've not ridden in any heavy rain. Anyone had any issues with water penetrating the stock leather finish?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner. Works great.

Reactions: ejburroughs

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use the Mcquires product as well. I would not use mink oil as it rots leather and stitching. I am a saddle maker with 25 years of leather crafting experience, stay away from mink oil! I would use snow seal if you want a water proof seal. It is made from beeswax which does not rot leather and thread.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,668 Posts
I use the Mcquires product as well. I would not use mink oil as it rots leather and stitching. I am a saddle maker with 25 years of leather crafting experience, stay away from mink oil! I would use snow seal if you want a water proof seal. It is made from beeswax which does not rot leather and thread.
How would the silicon in mink oil rot leather. If the water had penetrated thru the leather then mink oil was then applied I would agree with you. I have used mink oil on my riding leathers for many years will no ill effects. I do worry when I will get caught out in the rain this season to soaking the leather and how hard it will be to let the foam padding under neigh dry out. Dean E

·
Registered
125 Posts
How does their leather cream work? Would it work ok on my brown 15 desert tan bags??
I use it on my '14 Vintage and it works great. I also got waterproofing (more wax) and beads water right off.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I also use Doc Bailey's on all my leather, my Chieftain and my riding boots.

·
Founding member
1,162 Posts
I was using McGuire's but I didn't care for the way it worked into the Leather. I asked the dealer for the stuff they give out to the folks who buy the Vintages (I think). That stuff works great, not sure who makes it, but I plan on finding out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts