Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

I'd like to read more about the Indian history, going back to the beginning.

Can anyone recommend some books? I see quite a few on Amazon, but not sure which ones are more history of the company and which are more describing the different models over the years (or both).

Cheers,
John

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
$78.00 For a book!! Polaris publish this one?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Reactions: BoySCOUT

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! These are some of the books I was looking at.

I had wondered about the Franklin book, if he was related to the Franklin of aircraft engine fame. In the early days of aviation there must have been a lot of cross-over (Rickenbacker & Curtiss for example).

·
Registered
327 Posts
No relation. Charles Franklin was an Irish motorcycle racer (2nd in the 1911 Isle of Man TT Indian sweep) who later immigrated to the USA, becoming Indians Lead Engineer and designer of the Original Scout and Chief.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Curious if anyone watched the H-D documentary on the Discovery Channel this month. They painted Indian in a very bad light. Not the bike, but rather Indian management trying to undercut and prevent H-D from participating in racing.

Harley and the Davidsons. Played a little fast and lose with history, but I guess a drama needs a villain, right?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeah. good drama, bad history. Walter Davidson and George Hendee were actually on good terms. When Hendee retired in 1916, the company increasingly came under the control of financial speculators, too busy playing the market to concern themselves with HD. After E. Paul Dupont rescued Indian in 1930, the two companies helped each other out thru the depression and WW2, HD slipping Indian a lot of parts when things ran short. They did NOT want to see Indian fold, but they just dug themselves in too deep a hole after the war.

A real drama would be the fight for Indians corporate soul thru the 1920s and 30s. That would make a great Movie, IMHO.

Reactions: HeavyCavalrySgt
1 - 11 of 11 Posts