Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got an idea of comparison of lean angles between the Chieftain and the Cross Country Tour?

tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4365 said:
I'm bumping this because some CCT owner must have ridden a Chieftain by now!

tom
I don't believe anyone actually 'owns' a Chieftain yet Tom, and you can be sure that any demo rides would not have been reaching maximum lean angles :) ... You'll probably have to wait a while.... :)

Pete

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will tell you in about 2 weeks if things go right !! trading in my XC for a Chieftain....Chieftain due in around Sept14

XC is going to dealership tomorrow, getting a 'loaner' bike as a substitute until new scoot arrives...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the factory rep I talked to, (he got out a book to check) the CC and Vision have identical 33 degrees of available lean angle.

Now we just have to wait for them to announce the lean angle of the Chieftain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sat on one and the floor boards felt like they were mounted higher than the Vision and Cross bikes. Made me feel cramped with my knees up in the air like that but I'm pretty sure that means the bike is capable of leaning further than I ever want to.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Am surprised the Vision and CCT have the same lean angles. I own a CCT and am sure I've never come close to scraping the ground. Rented a Vision, and 40 minutes into the trip I was leaned into a corner and scraped the left floorboard. The Vision's handling was amazing, rode like a dream. Heard that sound a few more times over the next 11 days :) I assumed the lean angles must be different as I'm not that brave. But I guess on Vision I might be. It handled that good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
10960 said:
Am surprised the Vision and CCT have the same lean angles. I own a CCT and am sure I've never come close to scraping the ground. Rented a Vision, and 40 minutes into the trip I was leaned into a corner and scraped the left floorboard. The Vision's handling was amazing, rode like a dream. Heard that sound a few more times over the next 11 days :) I assumed the lean angles must be different as I'm not that brave. But I guess on Vision I might be. It handled that good.
Yep, the Vision's handling is just so good that you will find yourself leaning much further than on any other bike. I notice the difference from the Vision to the XRLE.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
10960 said:
A lot has to do with the COG on each bike and how much air you have in the rear shock. I found myself using less lean on my XC than others riding the same road on a Vision. Both bikes traveling the same road at the same speed but I was using less lean than the Vision. Then again, I tend to use less lean than others, I've noticed that on whatever bike I'm riding. Must be the way I learned to ride 35 years ago on bikes that really didn't like going around corners ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, I wonder what that says about my Kingpin and lean angle? I scrape the left floorboard all the time, whether two up or not. If my shock preload off (never adjusted it, about 1/3 of the distance from the top) or sdo I just have that much confidence in the bike that I know it is safe to lean that far over?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On similar bikes it can come down to riding style.
I find my XC very responsive to hangin a knee out, which, all things being equal, will get you around a curve with less lean angle required.
You get more leverage if you hang off even a little.
This can be quite fun to experiment with, btw.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I rode a Chieftain and did not get a chance to lean it that far. It does appear to have a lot more ground clearance from just looking at it I will say that. I rode with one guy who told me he tried to drag a footboard and was unsuccessful if that means anything. It handled a lot like a vision but was not as comfortable as either a vision or XC to me. The seat and the suspension was not as good in my opinion. Loved the adjustable windshield, the keyless start, lockable bags, and air pressure on the dash. All things that Vic may incorportate into their bikes soon. Otherwise it was a nice bike but not better than any Vic I ever rode or owned.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The reason I'm asking is a combination of age, too tall bike (FJR), too short legs (I'm sure they get shorter as you get older) and a wife who is finding getting on and off more difficult, has got me looking at the lower seating that the cruiser option offers.

Until now I was certain it would be a CCT, but the Chieftain would be a 'heart' choice, what a gorgoeus bike.

Of course ground clearance does not necessarily translate into lean angle as the width at the bottom is just as important, but from what I can tell the following stats are interesting.

FJR 5.3ins Chieftain 5.5ins CCT 5.8ins.

Of the three the bike with the lowest ground clearance no doubt has the largest lean angle!

tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts